Button Quail PELTS....

mhwc56

Songster
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
my house in maryland
i just saw a seller on ebay who sells button quail PELTS! What on earth would anyone want with the pelt of a little bitty CBBQ?
somad.gif
hit.gif

jvt feather is their name or whatever...

Last edited:
Aside From The Fact Some May Find It Offensive There Are Many Uses For Bird Pelts... 1= Dog Training, 2= Fly Tying , Fly Fishermen Use Various Assorted Feathers, Fur, And Thread As Well As Misc Other Ingredients To Tie An Artificial Immitation Of A Real Bug On A Hook For Use As Fishing Lure. 3= Cat Toys, 4= In Law Repellent?? 5= Just A Tool To Mess With Frail Button Owners???
smile.png

There Are Multiple Uses For Them

It is most likely for Fly tying materials. Nothing wrong with using the whole bird. Probably eating the quail and selling the feathers.

When I process my coturnix I am sure going to keep feathers back myself for fly tying.

I couldn't see the point of eating a button since they are so small, but others see it differently.

Quote:
why would anyone attempt to eat buttons?
and i have a HUGE problem with folks who kill animals wastefully..like for trophies or whatever.
Any life taken for people's frivolities offends me.....sorry ,just my personal feelings.
barnie.gif

i can maybe see the other bird pelts that he sells since they are pheasant,turkey,duck...that makes some sense considering that THEY can be eaten and then no part is wasted but ,come on, BUTTON quail?

Quote:
why would anyone attempt to eat buttons?
and i have a HUGE problem with folks who kill animals wastefully..like for trophies or whatever.
Any life taken for people's frivolities offends me.....sorry ,just my personal feelings.
barnie.gif

i can maybe see the other bird pelts that he sells since they are pheasant,turkey,duck...that makes some sense considering that THEY can be eaten and then no part is wasted but ,come on, BUTTON quail?

In many Asian countries, sparrows are consumed as a routine part of the diet. They are called 'rice birds' in China. I've seen recipes for the use of sparrows from various countries, including China, the Philipines, and Indonesia.

Button Quails are slightly bigger than your average sparrow, from what I recall the last time I held a captive sparrow in my hands (had to rescue the dumb thing from my greenhouse, despite the fact that doors on both ends were open).

So in theory it could be done. In practice, I personally wouldn't want to bother even with a coturnix or bobwhite, just seems like it would be a lot of work for a little meat, but I have nothing against those that do (I'm just lazy, I'd eat them if someone gave them to me cleaned!).

Last edited:
If I could justify buttons as edible then I would raise them. I try not to raise anything that doesn't have a practical use. It makes them a lot easier to sell and if ever I have a surplus I can put them in my freezer.

We make feather jewelry out here, so if I could justify the freezer bit I would definitely tan the pelts. I already do that with every other bird/animal we process out here. I have a bunch of dried rooster pelts and rabbit hides and so forth.

Considering the skin/feathers is going to be half the bird, I'm not sure it would be officially considered a waste. Plus he may be feeding the quail to his cats/dogs/etc as a natural diet.

Personally, I'd rather see this than those awful synthetic feathers that never break down and are horrible for the environment in terms of how to make them and how they are trashed.

I think the issue that gets me is that I see these button quail as cute little pairs, I eat the eggs, make jewelry out of them or sell the eggs/birds to petstores or customers...I don't visualize them as meat animals so I find it weird to see the pelts on ebay..they have been on auction since I have been on....but if you think about it. Button quail don't have a market in some areas and if you have a lot of excess boys, they can rip each other to shreads..just my thoughts
smile.png
I am not disgusted by people selling pelts or what not, I find it odd, that's all
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom