Button Quail PELTS....

I won't lie, I read the topic title and immediately thought: I want one! Or ten!

I think they'd make cool little doilies!

It all depends on how you look at it. My button quail have a practical use to me. I can sell the hatching eggs and offspring and make a bit of money. Anything I can sell has a practical use to me!

I do eat my Coturnix on occasion, but only when they don't sell as breeding animals and pets.

I've found that anything you can sell as a pet will earn a higher price and is in a higher demand than food animals.

I am lucky to get 6.00 for a butchered coturnix around here, but I can sell them for $15-20 if I sell them as pets to people.

Same is true for my ducks and my chickens. The Banatam chickens sell for more and have a higher demand for some reason.

I don't officially tan the pelts. Salt or Borax depending on what I have on hand (usually salt). Since the pelts are just there until the feathers are plucked/used, and tanning is meant for a long-term product that is soft/supple and doesn't fall apart, tanning just isn't necessary.

With that being said, I am still fussing around with trying to make a purse or pouch out of rooster pelts. I've just been really lazy and the rooster feathers/faux sculptures/paints stuff has been keeping me busy instead. Eventually I plan on regularly offering pelts for sale to anyone who does feather crafts. I just need to find a much faster way to skin a rooster without mangling the feathers (like they did with those quail pelts - that looks awful). I have two more to try today and will be caponizing a dozen cockrels to see how they turn out. I know it will affect the feather growth - I want to know by how much, since we do eat our birds and no one will eat a bird that isn't tasty.

Quote:
why would anyone attempt to eat buttons?
and i have a HUGE problem with folks who kill animals wastefully..like for trophies or whatever.
Any life taken for people's frivolities offends me.....sorry ,just my personal feelings.
barnie.gif

i can maybe see the other bird pelts that he sells since they are pheasant,turkey,duck...that makes some sense considering that THEY can be eaten and then no part is wasted but ,come on, BUTTON quail?

WHOA THERE! POINT THAT THING SOMEPLACE ELSE IT MAY BE LOADED!
smile.png

I NEVER SAID HOW OR WHY THEY KILLED THE LIL PIGMIES. YOU POSTED ABOUT PELTS, I SIMPLY STATED SOME USES FOR THEM. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW OR WHY ANYONE WOULD KILL BUTTONS. I AM WITH YOU I DONT BELIEVE IN USELESS KILLING, BUT IT COULD POSSIBLE BE THAT THEY DIED FROM NATURAL CAUSES AS WELL? MANY BIRD AUCTION SITES THERE CAN BE FOUND AUCTIONS FOR WHOLE CARCASSES FOR TAXIDERMY USE... THESE ARE OFTEN NATURAL DEATHS. COULD BE A SIMILAR SORT OF THING HERE?

I PINION MY BIRDS AND SELL THE DRIED WINGTIPS ON EBAY FOR DOG TRAINING AIDS... I AM OF THE MIND FRAME THAT LITTLE OR NOTHING SHOULD GO TO WASTE. IT MAY BE THIS EBAY INDIVIDUAL IS AS WELL? ITS HARD TO SAY FOR SURE. BUT AS A FREE SOCIETY THERE ARE ALWAYS THINGS THAT PLEASURE AND ANNOY EVERY ONE OF US. ULTIMATELY IF THEY RAISE THEM SIMPLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF MAKING PELTS UN-NECESSARILY THATS THEIR BUSINESS. THEY ARE THE ONES FOOTING THE BILLS AND DOING THE WORK (PERSONALLY I DONT BELIEVE IN IT, BUT IT IS A FREE COUNTRY
hmm.png
)

I KEEP FEATHER FROM MY BIRDS FOR TYING AS WELL AS PURCHASE FROM OTHER SOURCES AND SELL SURPLUS FEATHERS... I HAVE NO IDEA WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT BUTTON QUAIL FEATHERS AS I PERSONALLY KNOW OF NO FLY PATTERNS THAT CALL FOR THEIR USE, BUT MAYBE HE HAS A SECRET PATTERN THAT ABSOLUTELY DRIVES TROUT BONKERS? (NEED TO ASK HIM
smile.png
) HECK I'VE EVEN GONE SO FAR AS "BORROWING" A COUPLE OF HACKLE FEATHERS FROM A ROOSTER ON OCCAISION IF I HAD A TRIP COMING UP AND RAN OUT OF FEATHERS FOR TYING BEFORE THE TRIP... THE ROOST WASNT HARMED BUT I DONT THINK HE APPRECIATED THE NEW DO...
lau.gif

Quote:
Question for you RE fly tying. I know NOTHING about it, haven't fished since I was like 11/12. But, my sister and her husband have made a living as running a professional fly fishing guide service in N. Michigan since 1993, so the topic has some interest to me in a roundabout way. I could just ask her, but you're here, so I'll ask you:

Can't you use practically ANY kind of fur or feather to tie a fly? Or, is there a risk using something "different" (like the button quail feathers) that the fish just won't "rise to the lure" as they say, and reject it.

Just wondering if I should be saving button quail feathers for my sister. She already wants my pretty turkey feathers!

I dry the pelts of my Coturnix and Chickens which I process for meat. But I also occasionally have one that passes on its own for one reason or another.
If one of my buttons passed on I would save the pelt there too.

I don't think its odd to process buttons for meat, granted they are small and myself personally would rather work with Coturnix or chickens...
BUT who's to say that the Button quail flavor beats all? but no one has tried it cuz they are so small...

Just my humble opinion

Quote:
Question for you RE fly tying. I know NOTHING about it, haven't fished since I was like 11/12. But, my sister and her husband have made a living as running a professional fly fishing guide service in N. Michigan since 1993, so the topic has some interest to me in a roundabout way. I could just ask her, but you're here, so I'll ask you:

Can't you use practically ANY kind of fur or feather to tie a fly? Or, is there a risk using something "different" (like the button quail feathers) that the fish just won't "rise to the lure" as they say, and reject it.

Just wondering if I should be saving button quail feathers for my sister. She already wants my pretty turkey feathers!

Yes you can use any fur or feather for a fly.....
BUT
if you are looking for a pattern/color that is natural and the oils have not been removed then you have to look for specialty pelts/feathers.
The whole point of a fly is to imitate a natural bug/food source where you are fishing. and as we all know bugs come in many many colors and patterns.
I keep some feather patterns then sell the rest since for me and the areas I fish that pattern works best.

btw I've seen some flies sell for $15-20 each... yikes.

Quote:
why would anyone attempt to eat buttons?
and i have a HUGE problem with folks who kill animals wastefully..like for trophies or whatever.
Any life taken for people's frivolities offends me.....sorry ,just my personal feelings.
barnie.gif

i can maybe see the other bird pelts that he sells since they are pheasant,turkey,duck...that makes some sense considering that THEY can be eaten and then no part is wasted but ,come on, BUTTON quail?

WHOA THERE! POINT THAT THING SOMEPLACE ELSE IT MAY BE LOADED!
smile.png

I NEVER SAID HOW OR WHY THEY KILLED THE LIL PIGMIES. YOU POSTED ABOUT PELTS, I SIMPLY STATED SOME USES FOR THEM. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW OR WHY ANYONE WOULD KILL BUTTONS. I AM WITH YOU I DONT BELIEVE IN USELESS KILLING, BUT IT COULD POSSIBLE BE THAT THEY DIED FROM NATURAL CAUSES AS WELL? MANY BIRD AUCTION SITES THERE CAN BE FOUND AUCTIONS FOR WHOLE CARCASSES FOR TAXIDERMY USE... THESE ARE OFTEN NATURAL DEATHS. COULD BE A SIMILAR SORT OF THING HERE?

I PINION MY BIRDS AND SELL THE DRIED WINGTIPS ON EBAY FOR DOG TRAINING AIDS... I AM OF THE MIND FRAME THAT LITTLE OR NOTHING SHOULD GO TO WASTE. IT MAY BE THIS EBAY INDIVIDUAL IS AS WELL? ITS HARD TO SAY FOR SURE. BUT AS A FREE SOCIETY THERE ARE ALWAYS THINGS THAT PLEASURE AND ANNOY EVERY ONE OF US. ULTIMATELY IF THEY RAISE THEM SIMPLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF MAKING PELTS UN-NECESSARILY THATS THEIR BUSINESS. THEY ARE THE ONES FOOTING THE BILLS AND DOING THE WORK (PERSONALLY I DONT BELIEVE IN IT, BUT IT IS A FREE COUNTRY
hmm.png
)

I KEEP FEATHER FROM MY BIRDS FOR TYING AS WELL AS PURCHASE FROM OTHER SOURCES AND SELL SURPLUS FEATHERS... I HAVE NO IDEA WHY ANYONE WOULD WANT BUTTON QUAIL FEATHERS AS I PERSONALLY KNOW OF NO FLY PATTERNS THAT CALL FOR THEIR USE, BUT MAYBE HE HAS A SECRET PATTERN THAT ABSOLUTELY DRIVES TROUT BONKERS? (NEED TO ASK HIM
smile.png
) HECK I'VE EVEN GONE SO FAR AS "BORROWING" A COUPLE OF HACKLE FEATHERS FROM A ROOSTER ON OCCAISION IF I HAD A TRIP COMING UP AND RAN OUT OF FEATHERS FOR TYING BEFORE THE TRIP... THE ROOST WASNT HARMED BUT I DONT THINK HE APPRECIATED THE NEW DO...
lau.gif

sorry guys i didn't mean to come across so....uhhhh...annoyed? opinionated? ....on the soap box thing...sorry...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom