Button Quail

jkcove--

love the pics. I actually had one hatch with one eye. He is doing great actually. My pops and husband are building my an outdoor hexagon avairy for the spring that I designed. Im quite excited----but of course Ill HAVE to get a couple finch to stick in there to, right????
wink.png

Thats great. What do you feed them? I have a 40 gal breeder with a custom oak cabinet stand DH built. I have been trying to sell it but maybe i will bring it to my work and do that.

I actually feed mine chick starter. The medication doesnt seem to bother them. I give them millet and greens for treats. I seem to have chicks around all the time so it comes in very handy. THis way they get enough protein. I give them ground up chicken shells once in a while too. I bought a small coffee grinder when I hatched out chicks and used that to grind up the chick starter so that it was fine for the babies to eat. They are very active and make some wonderful sounds. THe only one that gets to me some times is when they growl at each other. It sounds like a bull frog that doesnt finish his ribbit..lol It took me a few minutes one day to figure out where the sound was comeing from. They only do it once in a great while so I am not sure what it is for. It seemed to be for a couple days right before a couple started laying eggs. I am getting 6 to 7 eggs a day now. I was selling them on ebay but I dont want to sell any right now since it is so cold here. It probably wouldnt be a problem going south but I have sent eggs everywhere for the short time I was selling them so I dont want to send them to the north and then have the person have a bad hatch. I have a couple hens that are acting broody with the eggs I left in there but they are trying to cover to many and it is funny watching them try to sitt on the eggs, they move back and forth trying. They are not the best for being broody, I havent heard of to many people having their hens hatch out babies but they are pretty easy in the bator. Jenn

Quote:
How many Bquail do you have? Your dobie does not go for chicken??? You need a splash silkie roo?
I am determined to find at least one of these boys a good home!!! I have only been to MagicWings once. I live so close to it, that it was easy to put off and off and off. Now that i have been, i want to go all the time. I wish i had more time on the weekdays. I'm afraid to go on weekends because it seems like it would be packed!!!

JK.....can you tell the boyd from the girls? Do you have any pics to show the eggs? I remember they were small, but i cant remember how small.

Hey Lurkey, The boys have little white bibs under thier chins and the girls do not. The only ones you cant tell of course would be with the all white birds. You can tell at uaually about 3 to 4 weeks. Here are some pics. Jenn
Boy
008-9.jpg

Girl
009-10.jpg

Eggs with 2 normal sized marbles
010-6.jpg

I was thinking about the white bibs. The ones at the pet store all have them, I think. The guy says one is male, 2 are female. They don't fight, and they all get along quite well. If I took pictures and posted them, would you guys be willing to tell me what you thought? And Jenn, put me on your list for spring!!!

-Sarah

Those eggs are pretty! I did not know the button quail had such colorful eggs. They look different than the other quail eggs I've seen... kind of a cream color with dark brown spots on them.

Hey Sarah,
Where did you post the pics at? I dont see them. They will not fight if it is all boy or all girls. Just let me know when you would like eggs, I keep minein the house so they are laying all the time. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom