BUYER BEWARE: Blue Star Chicken Ranch in Austin TX

Are you Blue Star Ranch or are you just copying and pasting from their website?
If you look at the only other post, it's signed by Will. That would be her son, Will Fordyce: https://thekeyproperty.com/about/

After looking a bit more closely, I think there are a few ways to get TAHC involved, but EVERY person who has personally been affected by disease they suspect came from this facility MUST file a complaint with TAHC and Austin - Travis County Health. Even if they tell you the complaint is not actionable, request that they document it anyway in their records. (They may not be able to do anything until the number of complaints and medical evidence is statistically significant enough to warrant an inquiry, but that will not happen if they're not reported.) (They are within Austin's ETJ, but the Health Department may refer to the County or the Lake Authority.)

Do not make the complaint anonymous unless you absolutely must. For most agencies, State law prohibits providing complainant information to the responsible party without a subpoena, ask the agency you're contacting and they'll let you know what their policy is. And call and talk to a human about the complaint, not an email or online form.

Just because it's not a substantial threat required by law to be investigated doesn't mean it can't be. There are caveats written into many State and Federal rules and regulations that give the enforcement authority the discretion to investigate anything that would fall under their responsibility if enough evidence is available or legitimate complaints are received. And I'm fairly certain that there's a rule buried in there that grants TAHC the authority to enter and inspect any commercial animal operation's sales records, and of course, the Comptroller and the IRS have that authority as well.

If you have solid documentation of disease, also report it to the TVMDL P/T program so they can look up who did their P/T testing during that time and whether the testing was done according to the rules. (I know P/T isn't the issue, but a potentially dishonest P/T tester is.) After having a long conversation recently with the head of the program, they will be cracking down on accurate reporting and paperwork, and I know there aren't that many testers right now, but some of them will be put on suspension or have their authorizations revoked for not following the rules. One of the sayings we have in Aggieland is that, "Aggies do not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do."

In the time between my last post and Will hopping onto this thread, some changes to the website were made, which is exactly what I hoped would happen. And they were even kind enough to provide a link to the other Agency that a complaint should be made to, the Texas Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/consumer-protection/file-consumer-complaint
And, although reviews do not count against their score, the BBB: https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/austin/profile/poultry-farm/blue-star-ranch-0825-1000188284

There are a number of additional agencies and avenues that anyone who has had an actual business transaction with this company and documentation to back up their claim can pursue. Start with what I've already outlined, and if there are enough complaints that are determined by the State to be valid, they'll call in the rest of the Cavalry. And I just might be riding one of the horses, but I've done all I can for now.

Oh, and call TDA, this is a violation of State Rules too:
1635467826271.png

From BS ranch’s revamped website, I found this very interesting:

“Also, be sure to read the forum at Backyard Chickens. It's a good place on the web for beginners. When you are raising chickens to start your research and study more about chickens. Backyard Chickens is not a chicken farm but it may be a good place to start your research. If you request answers to questions, or post questions at Backyard Chickens, understand that not everyone there has real farm experience with chickens so you may get a complete range of differing answers to your questions. So do use your discretion at everything posted or researched here [sic].”

Italics are their emphasis, not mine.

TL;DR: DON'T DO IT. Two recent necropsies show we have Mareks disease and respiratory illness in our flock, and investigation/tracing proves it came from Blue Star. If you are in the Central Texas/Austin area, get your chicks from Tractor Supply, Callahan's, or if you really want to buy from a hatchery/breeder, check out Seabreeze Hens in San Leon (which has great *real* reviews for a reason) or Ideal Hatchery in Waco. Blue Star knowingly sells sick birds to people who don't know any better, as stated by SO many reviewers across multiple platforms.

It's hard to think that we, as complete noobs, didn't pay attention to the red flags that in hindsite are so obvious. Plenty of others have left reviews that clearly state the same major issues we ended up having--but we also saw the 5-star reviews and chose to give Blue Star the benefit of the doubt. The grounds at Blue Star leave much to be desired (which we now can see), and Mary's way of conducting business, while it has a certain charm, was/is questionable.

In August 2019 we bought pullets from Mary Ann Fordyce at Blue Star--at a premium price, of course. Of the five pullets (6-8 weeks old), one looked ill almost immediately, but because we were so ignorant we didn't know better; we called her our "emo bird" because she was "chill" and "aloof" and just liked to sleep. (HINT: this is *NOT* normal chicken behavior!) At the time we introduced these birds, we had only three healthy laying hens who had come from a friend's very healthy flock (her flock is still thriving). Within THREE WEEKS, one of our healthy layers died a terrible, traumatic death complete with swollen sinuses/eyes, pussy nostrils, and wheezing; two weeks later "emo bird" was dead too.

We went back to Blue Star in March 2020 for another batch, because a) we'd bought and lost so many birds at this point we were down to three; b) we were enticed by the "special breeds" we wanted and Mary had; c) we believe in giving second chances; and mostly d) we were impatient for older pullets and all Tractor Supply/Callahans had were chicks. Dumb dumb dumb. My partner told Mary of the issues we'd had and she was terribly apologetic; she gave him four "free" birds as a makeup gift--but the price paid for the six might as well have been for all ten. OH, I nearly forgot to mention that when he called before going out there she said "either bring canned goods or the price of each bird will go up" because this was at the beginning of the pandemic. We didn't have cans and again, paid premium price. (We are dumb.) Two of the babes were sneezing the day after we brought them home, so we quarantined them from the 8 others immediately and somehow they pulled through. Now it's August and they're both dead, along with five others from that batch. Two of the remaining three now show the same symptoms and we're expecting to lose them, too, although of course hoping we won't.

We had our last two dead birds necropsied (you can do this through Texas A&M DVML clinics for a small fee), which show they died of Mareks disease, an incurable, untreatable virus that can live in the environment for years. The only way to combat Mareks disease is to vaccinate day-old chicks, or purchase vaccinated chicks, and even then it only helps to increase the odds they'll be able to fend off the deadly symptoms.

Of 15 total birds we've gotten from Mary/Blue Star, five are still alive. And two of those are unlikely to make it.

It's really, really hard to believe Mary would not know she has illness in her flocks. At worst, she DOES know and sells them anyway. At best, she is selling very weak birds. On her website there is now a multi-paragraph "disclaimer" attempting to explain the bad reviews "trolls" have left on social media. The fact that she feels the need to go on the offensive re: the bad reviews sadly points to the former as the more likely reason.

Don't be dumb like us and regret it later. Heed the poor reviews and BUY YOUR BIRDS ELSEWHERE.
Thank you so much for the info… I have been looking for specific birds. Although I have not looked at or come across her sight it’s good to know if it pops up in my search to avoid it. Thank you I’m still kinda new to buying out of state etc

understand that not everyone there has real farm experience with chickens
Sure, a company named after the engineers of the vaporware Titanic II and a brothel sounds way more trustworthy than a brand of gin glorified in 90's rap culture.

I mean, I totally agree. I only have experience with multiple endangered species in two of the top zoological programs in the world; a degree from a world-class university with one of the oldest Poultry Science programs; and a lengthy career enforcing many of the same Texas Regulations that she so vainly thinks she's skirting around. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and sometimes I play the Alien Ant Farm version of Smooth Criminal on the shop radio while I'm out building chicken coops, so I bet I can provide advice just as good as a "poor disabled social justice warrior grandma" with a broken Caps Lock key and coops located in convenient proximity to running water, electricity, and something called...neighbors.

Unless that advice is grade A, certified non-GMO Bull$#!%. My Bull$#!% and breeding program are totally GMO. (We are using the Mendelian definition of that, right?)

@Uwish Just in case you didn't read farther, Seabreeze isn't recommended either. Your best bet is to seek the advice of those who have the breeds you want.
Thank you I did miss that, I’m not rushing into any purchases I definitely will be doing my homework after reading all of this.

Sure, a company named after the engineers of the vaporware Titanic II and a brothel sounds way more trustworthy than a brand of gin glorified in 90's rap culture.

I mean, I totally agree. I only have experience with multiple endangered species in two of the top zoological programs in the world; a degree from a world-class university with one of the oldest Poultry Science programs; and a lengthy career enforcing many of the same Texas Regulations that she so vainly thinks she's skirting around. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and sometimes I play the Alien Ant Farm version of Smooth Criminal on the shop radio while I'm out building chicken coops, so I bet I can provide advice just as good as a "poor disabled social justice warrior grandma" with a broken Caps Lock key and coops located in convenient proximity to running water, electricity, and something called...neighbors.

Unless that advice is grade A, certified non-GMO Bull$#!%. My Bull$#!% and breeding program are totally GMO. (We are using the Mendelian definition of that, right?)
Gonna’ go out on a limb, here, and guess you found her opinion of advice on BYC, um ..., a bit offensive?

And I’m okay with Mendel. Yup.

Thank you I did miss that, I’m not rushing into any purchases I definitely will be doing my homework after reading all of this.
Good plan. And if a seller is asking more than what the hatcheries want, they should be able to backup their lineage with awards or pedigrees without being offended, and be able to quote most of the applicable standard. Unless you can Google their name and the breed and get a bunch of hits, they're probably asking too much. And just take the word "Rare" and strip it of any meaning or emotion right now. Ironically, the word has become totally worthless.

Back
Top Bottom