Buying adult chickens??

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
I would like to forego the chick and teenage phases and go directly to adult stock. I want hens that are almost or at their lay point-even been laying for a few months would be ok. Do most breeders have hens for sale? Is it too much to ask? Should I contact each breeder a few months ahead of time and ask that they put me on their list? You know like buying puppies! Will I have to buy these cute little fuzzy boogers that make everyones heart race? Dh has agreed to chickens but I think he would kick me and the chicks out, if they have to stay in the house for months!!!
roll.png

They are more expensive, but then you don't have to raise them. Yes you can request "started pullets" from breeders. Two breeders I contacted wanted $30 for a started pullet, and these were recommended local breeders that had good stock. Their chicks are $7 each, for comparison. I'd find some local breeders ASAP and email them.

Make sure you check for mites, lice, and any other bugs on them. Adults are far more likely to have them, especially if you buy from non-professional breeders. I got two hens last fall from a lady getting out of the roadside-egg business, because I just couldn't wait for spring chicks, and now I'm having to deal with eradicating lice and mites. Not the best decision I ever made...

I have ordered from www. johnadamsfarm .com he ships to all 50 states even in the winter with 100% live delivery!! I was very satisfied and would recommend them to any one. It is definitely the best place to get them. They have the cheapest shipping and price per bird on the web!!

The John Adams Farm looks like a real nice guy. They're even fed non-gmo diet, though they don't specify what exactly is in the feed. Could be a nice option for some folks not wanting to raise chicks. Shipping is steep though...$100 to ship 3 pullets from TX to WA.

You got to understand that they ship their chickens Priority Express Mail which is the fastest and most expensive way to ship. They just want the birds to make it to their new home alive.
big_smile.png

I also buy pullets...10 weekers.
Around 20$ per bird depending on breed.
Box holding 4 birds costs me 25$
Shipping on 4 birds in one box is 65$

I don't mind.

Murray Mcmurray also sells started pullets but the pullets $19.95 and shipping for 3 is $118.95 way more expensive then John Adams Farm. John Adams Farm charges $17.95 per bird and shipping for 3 is only $100.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom