Buying ducks soon (first time), have some questions

Speak for yourself, I love my house duck!

As for the OP: Three, in my opinion, is pushing it if you're keeping them inside. Three breeds = three different diaper sizes = constant headache when it comes time to change 'em. There's also no guarantee they'll "flock", for some reason, even imprinted on people, it's not unheard of for different breeds to shun one another. Not always the case, but something to consider. I only have one and she is a LOT of work! We plan o get her a buddy so we can finally have a social life again, but even then it'll be a lot of work. They truly are more like human infants than pets.

Now for the good parts: They are the most affectionate, loving, and adorable animal I've ever owned, and I've raised sugar gliders! If you take a look at the "Show Off Your House Duck" thread you'll see post after post on how sweet and puppy-like pet ducks can be. I adore my Wobbles, and she loves me too! They're more intelligent than chickens, although not anywhere near the level of, say, a parrot or crow. But she knows her name and basic commands like "no" and "jump". Not to mention it's a great conversation starter when you take 'em for walks!

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll only get 2 for the time being and see how it goes for them. Now I just need to decide on what ones to get! Mallard or Cayuga. This will be a tough decision, though I do have some time to think about it I suppose. Any additional input / opinions are welcome! Thanks!

Last edited:
Amykins glad you weighed in, but you can't sell me on house ducks :)
I change enough diapers already.... Maybe the ferret should wear diapers too.
Dave was here, don't forget to post pictures when you get your ducklings.

Hehe! Well, I admit, house ducks aren't for everyone. But if you're right for it, they're the best pet ever! And I concur, we need photos of the babies when they arrive!!
love.gif

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll only get 2 for the time being and see how it goes for them. Now I just need to decide on what ones to get! Mallard or Cayuga. This will be a tough decision, though I do have some time to think about it I suppose. Any additional input / opinions are welcome! Thanks!

Just for one last thing, don't forget that mallards can fly. They often don't if they're well cared for at home, but they can if their wings aren't clipped regularly.

Amykins glad you weighed in, but you can't sell me on house ducks
smile.png

I change enough diapers already.... Maybe the ferret should wear diapers too.
Dave was here, don't forget to post pictures when you get your ducklings.
Hehe! Well, I admit, house ducks aren't for everyone. But if you're right for it, they're the best pet ever! And I concur, we need photos of the babies when they arrive!!
love.gif

Well, I certainly don't have the best camera in the world, but I'll see what I can do!

Just for one last thing, don't forget that mallards can fly. They often don't if they're well cared for at home, but they can if their wings aren't clipped regularly.

Metzer Farms offers to permanently clip their wings before shipping (according to their FAQ), though I didn't see any such option on the order screen. I'll contact them when I order to make sure though, or research it a bit and do it myself.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/FAQ.cfm#PreventFly

Last edited:
Well, I certainly don't have the best camera in the world, but I'll see what I can do!

Metzer Farms offers to permanently clip their wings before shipping (according to their FAQ), though I didn't see any such option on the order screen. I'll contact them when I order to make sure though, or research it a bit and do it myself.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/FAQ.cfm#PreventFly

Poor ducks. Sad.

So should a pair of ducks sitting around an empty apartment in diapers waiting for someone to come home.

Poor ducks. Sad.
I agree. Just the idea of it gives me the willies.

If you can provide me with a link to some instructions on how to clip their wings safely, I would prefer that method.

So should a pair of ducks sitting around an empty apartment in diapers waiting for someone to come home.

The ducks would rarely be waiting for someone to come home, and when they do end up waiting, it would be no more than 2 hours at the most in their pen without diapers on. I wouldn't even consider getting ducks if we didn't have enough time to be with them now or in the distant future.

Back
Top Bottom