Buying these older chicks friday, are they roo or pullet?

cdobert

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2016
I want to be more that 90% positive im getting hens, as this is what the seller says they are. Input?
In the first image i am trying to sex the silkie as well as the white baby in the background (she says splash muran?)
In the second the golden girl (muran?)

i think the white one and the red one are pullets but i don't know about the silkie i need a closer picture of it crest
( i am not an expert though )

welcome-byc.gif

The white and red birds are both pullets, but I'm not sure they're Marans. White Marans do exist, but they're pretty rare. I don't think they come in red (in the US, anyway).

I'm getting a roo-vibe from the silkie. It may simply be in rough condition, but the irregular looking feathers make me think cockerel.

welcome-byc.gif

The white and red birds are both pullets, but I'm not sure they're Marans. White Marans do exist, but they're pretty rare. I don't think they come in red (in the US, anyway).

I'm getting a roo-vibe from the silkie. It may simply be in rough condition, but the irregular looking feathers make me think cockerel.

i looked it up and there seems to be a red maran
( i don't know much of the breed )

I want to be more that 90% positive im getting hens, as this is what the seller says they are. Input?
In the first image i am trying to sex the silkie as well as the white baby in the background (she says splash muran?)
In the second the golden girl (muran?)

Any idea how old they are? Either way I think the white and red one are pullets. However, I highly doubt they are Marans, unless they are mixes. Marans do come in Splash and they come in White, but I would not call the bird in the picture a Splash from what I can see. Marans also come in a "Brown-Red variety", but that is not a Brown-Red hen. There is no "Red Marans". The other things that have me confused are their combs and their legs. Are they single combs? That is what a Marans would have. Marans (at least French Marans) should also have feathered feet. If not, they should be clean-legged. It looks like the bird in the second picture has some sparse feathers, but not what I would expect for a feather-legged Marans.

Perhaps the person selling them to you is only going off what they were told by a third party and does not know much about the breed themselves?

Have you tried googling Splash Marans, or Marans in general to see for yourself what Marans should look like? You could also try posting your pictures to one of the Marans threads on BYC and see what others on there think.

Sorry. Just giving you my opinion, but I am certainly not an expert either.

I have no experience with Silkies, so I can't really comment on that.

Back
Top Bottom