By what age do tail feathers usually start growing in?

MichelleBelle

Songster
Jan 10, 2018
Texas
I've had several batches of baby chicks purchased from hatcheries and breeders, as well as hatched a couple batches here at home. In all the baby chicks I've observed, they usually have tail feathers at least starting to come in by 2 weeks. I currently have a batch of chicks that are almost 3 weeks old, and all but one chick have considerable tail feather development. The chick without any tail feather development whatsoever is a cross between Ameraucana and barred rock. It's otherwise healthy and feathering in nicely on the rest of the body- just no tail feathers. Will this little one be "rumpless" or is it possible the tail feathers will come in later?

It's a Boy!
It's a Boy!
It's a Boy!

Your the proud parent of a bouncing baby boy!
:thumbsup:woot:wee:highfive::bun:yesss:
There was a point in time when the short tail confirmed boy EVERY single time... BUT that changed with my Speckled Sussex, and some short tails were female.

I believe the short tail will happen in males when you breed a fast feathering breed to a slow feathering breed... genetics is so fascinating! It's a lot to digest and retain though... so I'm sure I still have plenty of mistakes to male and learn from. :)

Might be a boy might just be genetics.Tails are usually coming in by 2 weeks and mainly there by 3 but there are always exceptions. Here is one of my latest brood in 6 days they will all be 1 month old. One is a little behind even though she is definitly a she. It happens, all you can do is wait.:)
20180801_193237.jpg
20180801_193150.jpg

Everyone who said it's a boy- y'all were spot on!! This little chick is definitely a boy. He's got a prominent comb that is pink, he ruffles up his neck feathers and runs up to the other chicks with quite the attitude. So cute. His daddy is a super awesome rooster, so I'm hoping he inherited some good behavioral traits :)

Back
Top Bottom