BYC Android App!!!!

Pics

jimmywalt

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 24, 2013
So would you use an BYC Android App????????????

Seems that BYC doesn't think there are enough of us that would use an Android app, but in the 8 pages of this thread MANY have asked for one. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/832548/new-free-byc-iphone-ipad-app/70#post_12909641

Nifty-Chicken said "Also, an app for Android would be great if it would be in demand!"............ So let's show him that it WOULD be in demand!!! After all, there are MANY more Android phones out there than there are iPhones!!!!

If you would use it please post in THIS thread. Let's light this board up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

I would like to get notifications, and make it easier to post pictures. When I want to post pics on the Mobil website it takes a while for it to load and sometimes it doesn't even put it in my post after five minutes of loading

YES YES YES, PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE!!! The screen blinking up and down with each letter I type and not being able to read while I'm writing is driving me NUTS!!! My son likes hijacking my laptop so I do EVERYTHING on my galaxy tab! And sometimes when I try uploading a photo, everything vanishes when I hit "submit" - if I'm lucky enough to even get that far! :he

An app would be great, I can never get photos to post on mobile. The mobile format is good (could use improvement here and there) but if you could give it more options on an app it would be great. I would like a merge of the desktop and mobile does put into an app. An with most android phones you could put more on the screen than Iphones, almost all android phones now have 5+in displays. Even my s4 mini has a bigger screen than any Iphone. And if there were more thing that we could easily do on a phone more time we'll spend contributing to the byc community.

Can you get alerts from the app for things like messages or replies/quotes to your posts? It doesn't look any different than the mobile version of the website to me?

Yes, it is a WebView of the website. This was explained earlier in the thread, and users still requested it. Many will prefer to use the browser I'm sure, but there are a few minor advantages: It is a bit more secure because it is separate from the browser (popup ads are unlikely to work, for example), the image upload ability is custom and can do a bit more than the browser version such as open the camera for you to take a new photo, and the video playback is custom and locks the orientation so you don't accidentally rotate the screen and interrupt playback. Also the Search button on your phone/tablet is mapped to the BYC search page for quick lookups. Mainly I think a lot of people just want to be able to press a button and open the site, and the app certainly does that.

Like the iPhone app, I can add a menu, but it's just links that are already in the top menu, so I didn't waste the real estate. I cannot create alerts within Android without an API from the forum software, which apparently doesn't exist (until they change software). It is exceptionally easy to open the app, click the menu, and click Subscriptions to see if you have any replies. [In fact, you could use the app as nothing more than a quick way to check to see if you have replies or msgs.]

There is another thread for suggestions and feedback. If you would like to see something added or changed, please let me know. But Android alerts are impossible at this time without the aid of the vendor.

Hah, okay. It is a good idea, and I'd be happy to donate my time to add features like that if I get API access. There are over 2,500 downloads so it seems worth the effort.

That would be awesome! I use BYC ALL the time. I don't know about others, but I'd pay for a really well made BYC app with things like customizable push notifications, widget options to display messages or subscriptions or just a favorite thread at a glance, and the ability to upload multiple pictures at once (instead of just the one picture at a time like we're limited to on mobile right now). The app's photo upload is working really well now too so kudos on that!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom