• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Pics
Thanks, I've never heard of those, and they do look like hibiscus. I'll have to see if the local nursery carries those. Our tropical look is definitely missing the flowers. When they were both blooming they looked awesome. Here is a shot of before they took off. They are in the corners of the retaining wall.

You could maybe grow butterfly bush. They could give you a somewhat tropical look with those interesting flowers and also they smell pretty and attract butterflies. I don't know if you can grow fatsias in your area but those have a nice tropical shaped leaf. Another thing you could try is clumping bamboo. Elephant ears and cannas should pop up after each winter. A hardy banana could work too.
smile.png
Oh and shell ginger is very nice, they have pretty flowers.

Does anyone know why my apple tree is wilting?? I planted it properly, and water is well, but the leaves are turning brown, and wilting, the other tree is doing well. Don't know what's wrong with it???

The variables for a transplanted apple tree wilting are many and varied so i will just go with the obvious. If you planted both the same depth and did everything else the same then there should be no reason for one not thriving. That being said, are you fertilizing the tree? when you planted it did you have fertilizer in the hole before putting in the tree? If you used a strong fertilizer (commercial pellet ) rather than say a vitamin b1 or fish fertilizer you might have burnt the roots causing the issue (even that shouldn't be fatal tho). I would recommend mixing up a batch of fish fertilizer. Using the instructions and flood the tree with the solution. The fish fertilizer is very gentle and i have never burnt a plant with it. Hit it hard with that and water well to ensure it goes to the roots. Then leave it alone for a couple days before watering again. Most of the commercial apple tree hybrids are really hardy so don't lose hope as it may just be shocked from being planted. Keep an eye an eye on it and give it some time. I would also say that you most likely wont get fruit for the first year and maybe even the second.

-cam-

Last edited:
The variables for a transplanted apple tree wilting are many and varied so i will just go with the obvious. If you planted both the same depth and did everything else the same then there should be no reason for one not thriving. That being said, are you fertilizing the tree? when you planted it did you have fertilizer in the hole before putting in the tree? If you used a strong fertilizer (commercial pellet ) rather than say a vitamin b1 or fish fertilizer you might have burnt the roots causing the issue (even that shouldn't be fatal tho). I would recommend mixing up a batch of fish fertilizer. Using the instructions and flood the tree with the solution. The fish fertilizer is very gentle and i have never burnt a plant with it. Hit it hard with that and water well to ensure it goes to the roots. Then leave it alone for a couple days before watering again. Most of the commercial apple tree hybrids are really hardy so don't lose hope as it may just be shocked from being planted. Keep an eye an eye on it and give it some time. I would also say that you most likely wont get fruit for the first year and maybe even the second.

-cam-

Thankyou! It's worse... I did have fertilizer in the bottom, but it was from my compost, so I don't think it would burn it, especially since I did it to the other tree, and it is fine... I hope it's just shocked. It's a gala if that helps. I don't plan on getting any fruit, it's a semi dwarf, so hopefully it will fruit next year though!

So carrots, Potatoes (Yukon gold and russian blue) , lettuce, Swiss chard, Strawberrys, Raspberries, Garlic, and Rhubarb is all doing great. Can't wait till harvest time when we can have delicious rhubarb crisp!
droolin.gif

I am going to start mtfirst garden this year..now actually... It'll be a raised bed garden. I am looking into Square Foot Gardening, but I was wondering whether to start my seeds in an egg carton with organic soil..or something else. I've seen them started in eggs and in newspaper "pots". Wanted to start them in an egg crate but I was afraid it would grow moldy or something. Read somewhere that someone's did. I am just very apprehensive about starting the seeds and getting that part right so they'll thrive. Any advice?
Thanks
smile.png

Eggs and cartons are good for fast germinating seeds. Transplant is quicker because they're so small but they work and may be free.

I don't use newspaper because our humidity is so fricken high that certain weeks the air causes mold faster for me.

This year I had excess plastic cola flats and milk crates. Seeded in cola flats and transplanted into milk crates. Laid a handful of hay down to block bottom holes in the flats and made a nest in the crates. Added a few cups of soil or compost depending what I seeded and added seeds or transplanted seedlings to a pair per crate. Used a sharpie marker to tag a wooden clothepin and put them in the garden when there is room/a harvest or if I'm testing late bumber crops.

I only have a pic of the oak tree seedlings I think... Acorns from the river oaks here.

Last edited:
So carrots, Potatoes (Yukon gold and russian blue) , lettuce, Swiss chard, Strawberrys, Raspberries, Garlic, and Rhubarb is all doing great. Can't wait till harvest time when we can have delicious rhubarb crisp!
droolin.gif

we already picked some rhubarb! we are growing YG potatoes too! we planted are tomatoes in the garden today I have 4 tomatoes just for chickens!

Back
Top Bottom