• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Black tub holds the water.
There is a float inside the pvc pipe to keep the water level within the pipe constant.
The holes in the pipe are to accommodate a 2 inch net cup (from hydroponics) that is in the bottom of the baskets.
Baskets are used (with landscape fabric to hold in potting soil) because roots are "air pruned" instead of growing in circles around a solid pot.
Keeping the tub full means no watering of the garden (self watering) and it is slightly elevated which means rabbits (and chickens) don't seem to notice/bother it.
google/search "rain gutter garden system" and you'll find links for it.
I found out about it here on BYC from a post by @chickadoodles .

Today I canned my first batches of tomatoes, green beans, and my soup mixture of carrots, potatoes, and all the above in broth. House didn't get too hot since I used my electric pressure canners. Love those!

Y'all have such a short gardening season up there, it always startles me when I see your gardens this time of year. Still so orderly and fresh looking! Mine is a jungle right now. The heat has taken its toll already, even without a drought. We've had good rains, expecting more tonight. I picked hard today in anticipation of the storms, hence the early canning session. My lettuces are bolting hard, so I'll be replanting most of their spaces in another crop of bush beans, carrots, and whatever transplants of peppers and tomatoes I haven't set out yet. And more marigolds, nasturtiums and echinacea. Those reseed well and help keep our pests at bay. Plus they look pretty!

I'm exhausted and off to bed now, but had to look through all your nice gardens some more before I rest.

A few pictures from the yard taken yesterday...
lettuce:
IMG_0511.JPG

Yellow Asiatic lily (Sweet Spire in background):
IMG_0512.JPG

Allium going to seed:
IMG_0497.JPG

Back
Top Bottom