• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Pics
Hey everyone! Im here in coastal SC and my husband and I tore up about 350sft of our back yard to start a garden. We did alot of research, invested time and $ into this. I hope that We have a good crop this year. We have Collards growing. I started from seeds, but planted too early (feb). Only 2 made it and are doing great. So I did direct sow after the frost was gone, and they are growing too. Carrots which are doing well. But it kills me that I just cant see them
barnie.gif
since they are root veggies. We have some mustard greens growing, for our bunnies to snack on. Cucumbers growing, the leaves look alitte strange in color like some white spots on them. Any suggestions? Also trying to find cheap way way to trellis them. Im thinking one of those cheap fishing nets on some wood stakes. We have squash which is doing a great job growing. The corn I just planted, worried that the rooting system may get really big , I think I spaced the rows well enough apart.

In my sons garden (45sft) he planted a row of canalope and watermelons

We have a compost bin. But my hubby wont let me use it in my garden because at first we never washed the out the eggshells. Hes worried about saminilla and contaminating the veggies
hmm.png
idk
So I only use it for flowers now.

Don't be afraid to use the compost bin! Give it a good rinse with some simple green n let it dry out if it makes hi more at ease but its compost, its gross at times, broken eggs go in mine, the bugs/microbes will eat it up. If its a metal bin have the hubby run a torch lightly around the inside. He gets to play with kewl tool and put his mind at ease. Really tho, I think you'd benefit from it with the edibles and that it'd be safe :)
Hey everyone! Im here in coastal SC and my husband and I tore up about 350sft of our back yard to start a garden. We did alot of research, invested time and $ into this. I hope that We have a good crop this year. We have Collards growing. I started from seeds, but planted too early (feb). Only 2 made it and are doing great. So I did direct sow after the frost was gone, and they are growing too. Carrots which are doing well. But it kills me that I just cant see them
barnie.gif
since they are root veggies. We have some mustard greens growing, for our bunnies to snack on. Cucumbers growing, the leaves look alitte strange in color like some white spots on them. Any suggestions? Also trying to find cheap way way to trellis them. Im thinking one of those cheap fishing nets on some wood stakes. We have squash which is doing a great job growing. The corn I just planted, worried that the rooting system may get really big , I think I spaced the rows well enough apart. In my sons garden (45sft) he planted a row of canalope and watermelons We have a compost bin. But my hubby wont let me use it in my garden because at first we never washed the out the eggshells. Hes worried about saminilla and contaminating the veggies
hmm.png
idk So I only use it for flowers now.

Don't be afraid to use the compost bin! Give it a good rinse with some simple green n let it dry out if it makes hi more at ease but its compost, its gross at times, broken eggs go in mine, the bugs/microbes will eat it up. If its a metal bin have the hubby run a torch lightly around the inside. He gets to play with kewl tool and put his mind at ease. Really tho, I think you'd benefit from it with the edibles and that it'd be safe
smile.png
Thanks I have been sneaking a little into the mix :)

We are having our first garden since I was a kid. Hoping to have tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, pie pumpkins, and maybe some melons. It will be great to use my composted chicken poo next year too.

Thanks MotherCluckinMe and yeah I look forward to having my own hive. I'm awaiting a couple hundred dollars to spare and do it the right way with either good wood and materials to construct it myself or buy a nice Langstroth hive to start with. I have a bunch of little projects going on and each requires its own investment of time (researching and labor) and money.

I'll check out the DIY/self-sufficiency forum for some more information or ideas. I went to a local "Ridge Beekeepers Association" here in Polk County for a one day seminar earlier this month. I got to listen to some experienced beekeepers and picked their brains as well. I want to visit one more local beekeeper before I begin as well. However, I'm still confident and looking forward to starting hopefully by this summer. I'll post any updates when I begin.

Hey!! How many weeks before or after the last frost date do you plant asparagus crowns??

I was told by a couple of local farmers that you plant them in the fall after the first frost. I'm waiting to plant my own crown till then. But again, no personal experience, this will be my first year with asparagus.

I planted my asparagus crowns this year in Feb. (i was way over excited and it was really warm lol) We had two freezes afterwards and I lost all my Toms! BUT my asparagus is sprouting/ferning great. This will only be its 1st year. I read its a 2nd year crop...

Hey!! How many weeks before or after the last frost date do you plant asparagus crowns??

Ok Thanks! My last frost date is May 25 I believe so I might plant them next week. Other than that I planted some onion and asparagus seeds in flats last week and the onions are sprouting!!!! And my garlic made it through the winter!!!
celebrate.gif
I love this time of year!! <3

Back
Top Bottom