BYC: I need YOUR HELP to change MY bylaw!

@~rosecityfarmgirl~@

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Windsor
In Windsor ON, we're having the fight of our life. Council has refused to even form a committee to look into urban chickens, even though there are many people who have them. I've gone out on a limb and invited everyone - neighbours, media, kids, politicians - to my house downtown this Sunday to SHOW them that chickens aren't messy, smelly, loud, etc. I'm breaking a bylaw, and our local CLUCK (Canadian Liberated Urban Chicken Klub), all 140 members, is trying SO hard to change it.

I've created a website called www.rosecityfarms.com to educate people in my city about urban chickens, and I write a feature piece for www.windsorsquare.ca . I need 2 things:

1) If chickens are legal in YOUR city/town etc, I need the name of your city, the name of your state/province, and if you can, the rough population of your city. We want to MAP chicken-legal cities to show our ignorant politicians (one called wanting chickens 'clucking ridiculous') that chickens aren't some weird concept, that there are LOTS of places that allow them, including Vancouver and New York.

2) If you want to go one step further, TELL me about how you got your bylaw changed. Why was the original law in place? What did it take to change it? What was the one key thing that did it? Did anyone prominent support the idea? Was there a protest of any kind? Include pictures if you like, even just a picture of you with your chickens. I want to feature one city each week on both sites, and do a 'spotlight on chickens' in North America.

This is a legal battle (the bylaw, written in 1985, may violate our Section 7 Rights under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms), and a PRESS battle. We're filming a public service announcement in a few weeks with the theme, 'Please don't take our chickens away!', to combat the ignorant people who grouch from their couches that 'nobody wants chickens!'

To make this situation worse, our local Humane Society ( a private corporation, NOT city-run) has the authority to walk into my yard, take my chickens, and euthanize them, for NO reason at all. We need to CHANGE THIS BYLAW, and anything BYC can do will be a HUGE HELP!

Thank you sooo much
big_smile.png

You can PM me, or email me at [email protected] if you'd like to send photos.

Wish me luck, and thank YOU, BYC!

Last edited:
@~rosecityfarmgirl~@ :

In Windsor ON, we're having the fight of our life. Council has refused to even form a committee to look into urban chickens, even though there are many people who have them. I've gone out on a limb and invited everyone - neighbours, media, kids, politicians - to my house downtown this Sunday to SHOW them that chickens aren't messy, smelly, loud, etc. I'm breaking a bylaw, and our local CLUCK (Canadian Liberated Urban Chicken Klub), all 140 members, is trying SO hard to change it.

I've created a website called www.rosecityfarms.com to educate people in my city about urban chickens, and I write a feature piece for www.windsorsquare.ca . I need 2 things:

1) If chickens are legal in YOUR city/town etc, I need the name of your city, the name of your state/province, and if you can, the rough population of your city. We want to MAP chicken-legal cities to show our ignorant politicians (one called wanting chickens 'clucking ridiculous') that chickens aren't some weird concept, that there are LOTS of places that allow them, including Vancouver and New York.
Tempe, Arizona, population 169,712 (2006 extimate by US Census) http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/04/0473000.html Tempe is a suburb of Phoenix; the county poulation is over 4 million. Couldn't find a metropolitan area population, so I went with county, although that is not completely acuarate as their are rural areas of the county, and one can make a case for part of hte metropolital area being in Pinal County.

2) If you want to go one step further, TELL me about how you got your bylaw changed. Why was the original law in place? What did it take to change it? What was the one key thing that did it? Did anyone prominent support the idea? Was there a protest of any kind? Include pictures if you like, even just a picture of you with your chickens. I want to feature one city each week on both sites, and do a 'spotlight on chickens' in North America.
Didn't have anything to do with the zoing ordinances or city code changes that allowed chickens. I live is the Agricultural District, which has always allowed chickens. A number of years ago they were allowed only by variance in other zones, but, ALL VARIANCE REQUESTS TO KEEP A FEW HENS WERE APPROVED. When the zoning code was rewritten in 2003, they allowed hens in all single family residential zones. Tempe has long viewed itself as a progressive city.

This is a legal battle (the bylaw, written in 1985, may violate our Section 7 Rights under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms), and a PRESS battle. We're filming a public service announcement in a few weeks with the theme, 'Please don't take our chickens away!', to combat the ignorant people who grouch from their couches that 'nobody wants chickens!'

To make this situation worse, our local Humane Society ( a private corporation, NOT city-run) has the authority to walk into my yard, take my chickens, and euthanize them, for NO reason at all. We need to CHANGE THIS BYLAW, and anything BYC can do will be a HUGE HELP!

Thank you sooo much
big_smile.png

You can PM me, or email me at [email protected] if you'd like to send photos.

Wish me luck, and thank YOU, BYC!​

Cleveland Ohio is a go! Here's a link, here's another .

According to this article , they're legal in Toledo as well as long as they meet sanitary conditions.

There's also been a huge dicussion about Michigan's "Right to Farm" law on here as well. I'm from Ohio, and don't really know all the particulars, but what I've gathered is that in Michigan, local ordinances and zoning cannot interfere with your right to pursue "agricultural" activities, including keeping chickens. Hopefully someone from Michigan will chime in on this. If it's true, you're bordered by an American State that allows them essentially "everywhere" and by at least two major cities from the next State south that allow it as well.

Last edited:
That's great to hear! I also hear that Kalamazoo is very close to allowing them
big_smile.png

One of our councillors ACTUALLY said that chickens should remain banned because they 'only benefit a handful of people"
Where is the logic in that!?

Back
Top Bottom