BYC Member Interview - 1muttsfan

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Mary, known to BYC members as 1muttsfan, has been a BYC member since March 2011. One of our wonderful "all rounders", when she's not in the New Member Introductions section, welcoming our new members, she will be found on the forum giving advice, or hanging out with friends.

1. Tell us a bit more about yourself.

I was born and raised in Michigan, and live there still. I graduated from Michigan State (Go Green!) with degrees in the sciences, including Microbiology and Public Health. For the last 26 years I have worked in a medical office. We spend as much time as possible outdoors, taking care of a large yard and property and the many animals on it. Not so fond of housework! Horses, photography, and fishing are some of my favorite pastimes.

2. Why and when did you start keeping chickens?

I have kept animals of all kinds as pets, as well as horses, since I was young, but only came into chickens about 4 years ago when I moved into a house that I actually own instead of renting outside of town. Like many here on BYC I thought a few hens for fresh eggs would be nice, and found that I enjoy the chickens just as much as the eggs.

3. Which aspect(s) of chicken keeping do you enjoy the most?

Certainly the fresh, unaltered, tasty eggs have been nice. I also have just a little hatching addiction, and love to hatch out new and different breeds. This has at times led to some issues with excess roosters, and what to do with them. As well the chickens themselves have been fascinating, I love their different personalities and the way they interact with us and with each other.

4. Which members of your flock, past and present, stand out for you and why?

I had a really sweet Basque rooster that was everything a rooster should be, a real gentleman and very good-natured. He would come to work with me occasionally and walk around the office. He developed an intractable lameness and got to where he could not longer get around comfortably and had to go at too young an age. I have found all my Speckled Sussex to be very outgoing and friendly, and always keep at least one around; my current hen is my only bird with a name, and she has three, depending on who is talking to her. (every bird I give a name to seems to die too soon, so we have become superstitious).

5. What was the funniest (chicken related) thing(s) that happened to you in your years as chicken owner?

I had a hen once that was fascinated with my Australian Cattle Dog Bella. She would follow Bella around the yard, staring at her from every angle, as Bella ignored her for as long as possible before moving away (she is not really interested in the chickens at all). They would do this for hours. I also love it when all the hens come a-runnin when called while foraging, it always surprises visitors when this big gang of birds comes flapping and running up, and they are fascinated by how friendly they are.

6. Beside chickens, what other pets do you keep?

Right now cats, dogs and horses, and I feed a large population of wild birds.

7. Anything you'd like to add?

BYC has been an amazing resource and a good place to hang out with friends. One of the most difficult things about online forums is how hard it can be to relay emotions such as humor, and people often misunderstand what others say. BYC does a good job of keeping things courteous and fun.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/83951/1muttsfan

See here for more about the interview feature and a complete list of member interviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/905602/introducing-vip-member-interviews/0_30

Mary, thanks for sharing your story with us. Love your Shel Silverstein quote. That is some fish you have there!

I love it too - although I have to give credit to Sumi, that is her sig line
smile.png

Mary, thanks for sharing your story with us. Love your Shel Silverstein quote. That is some fish you have there!

Thank you for being willing to share. Hope that you are staying warm up there despite the cold and snow! I don't think any of us were ready for this yet after last year's winter. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom