BYC Member Interview - seminolewind

Being a "neighbor", it was especially interesting to read your interview since I've read many of your posts here. Terrific pictures. Thank you for taking the time for those of us who are newer to chickens.

Quote: Oh wow, you were WAY down there in the southeastern part of Turkey! I have never been that far south or east. My parents are Turkish and I was born there in Kadikoy. When it was time for my brother and I to go to school, we moved here to the states. We made many migrations over the years back to Turkey to see the relatives and spent many summer vacations back there as well. I haven't been back since I was about 18 years old! (I am in my 50's now) My brother goes back a lot. Me...
hide.gif
...LOL not so much. I do keep contact with cousins via email however.

You and I should get together and take a vacation back to those lands. Revisit our pasts!! Ha!

Great interview!!
smile.png

You don't know how bad I'd want to go! The last time I was there only a few horse drawn buggies. That's a long time ago.
They started to do away with the horse drawn buggies in the 80's. Too many cars. At least in and around Istanbul. However the last time I was there, there were still lots of sellers of bread, water and other goods still using horse and buggy. I am sure LOTS has changed since both of us have been there! :)

I'd give anything for some real ekmek (bread).

I stopped over in Turkey twice, without staying longer than a few hours each time. I'd love to go back for a proper visit some day. An acquaintance of ours vacationed there about 2 years ago and she couldn't get over how nice it is there.

Quote: Oh wow, you were WAY down there in the southeastern part of Turkey! I have never been that far south or east. My parents are Turkish and I was born there in Kadikoy. When it was time for my brother and I to go to school, we moved here to the states. We made many migrations over the years back to Turkey to see the relatives and spent many summer vacations back there as well. I haven't been back since I was about 18 years old! (I am in my 50's now) My brother goes back a lot. Me...
hide.gif
...LOL not so much. I do keep contact with cousins via email however.

You and I should get together and take a vacation back to those lands. Revisit our pasts!! Ha!

Great interview!!
smile.png

You don't know how bad I'd want to go! The last time I was there only a few horse drawn buggies. That's a long time ago.
They started to do away with the horse drawn buggies in the 80's. Too many cars. At least in and around Istanbul. However the last time I was there, there were still lots of sellers of bread, water and other goods still using horse and buggy. I am sure LOTS has changed since both of us have been there! :)

Oh, and how about that Simit....that sesame seed bread they sell warm on the streets!!!
droolin.gif
OMG...that stuff is to DIE for!!! We used to bring home suitcases of it on the airplane ride home!
gig.gif

I stopped over in Turkey twice, without staying longer than a few hours each time. I'd love to go back for a proper visit some day. An acquaintance of ours vacationed there about 2 years ago and she couldn't get over how nice it is there.

It's an overlooked gem. I don't think there's a better place to spend time there, they have so much history, good food, nice people, good prices. I even miss the smells.

Gypsy says hi to her Aunt Karen! Did your other hens that sweet Valerie lived with seem to notice she disappeared? I always watch mine when one dies to see how they act the following few days. Again, so sorry you lost that girl. She seemed to be very special just like her sister.

Last edited:

I grew up in Holland, where we have a large population of Turkish people. We'd buy the bread at the weekly market, as well as Turkish pizza
droolin.gif
Ah, I do so miss all that lovely multicultural goodness we had back home. A true meltingpot. Growing up I had friends from all over the world.

As a teacher-in-training I worked at an innercity school with a lot of Berber, Turkish and Moroccan kids too.

Back
Top Bottom