BYC SEWING/QUILTING CLUB

I posted these on the other quilt thread but I want to show you the quilt blocks my 11 year old is working on from her old flannel pj's. She got a singer for Christmas. She is putting together a rag quilt.

pjquilt.jpg

I am working on 2 baby quilt tops, 3 sets of bumper pads to match each quilt top. Finished one quilt day before yesterday. Almost finished with one diaper bag, just need to get to town for elastic to make the pockets for the inside. I have to wait to see if I win a bid on some fabric to finish one of the quilts. Now I am up to making 4 sets of these. My neice, my cousins wife, my oldest daughter (2nd) grandchild for me)
smile.png
and my 2nd cousin are all having babies this year and its only January, so may be more.

We have a special event coming in our church... a young lady is expecting who's been trying for 5 1/2 years!
celebrate.gif
She is 2 mths along.

Once she's a little farther, I've got several things in mind to make her...quilt for one...and I bought a 'cootie cover' for my children (you put them in it in a shopping cart)...but I saw a pattern for one the other day... anyone make one of these before?

MP---your daughters quilt will be lovely. My mom always saved our clothes...and now we look at quilts...and we 'remember'.
love.gif

MP your dd quilt is coming along nicely she will really cherish it when it's done.

I am teaching my 7yo dd to piece a block next week for the block of the month swap. She's so excited!!!

Guys-

How old were your daughters when you taught them to sew? I am thinking about teaching my daughter to crochet and maybe sew.

Ut Oh............... Just thought if I teach her to sew she will WANT to use the machine and how will I get anything done, LOL.

Anyways we will see........ (the most often phrase used in our house at this time)

Sheila

My daughter is 9 and she chain crochet a chain, slip stitch, and learning the double stitch...basically...what I can do...
lol.png
roll.png

She is learning sewing as well...she is thrilled about the quilting aspect of sewing.
smile.png
She's been watching me sew...well, since she could...and she's at the age where what Mom does is 'cool'..."I want to be just like you mom!"
love.gif

Why not start them young? Enjoy. They can't be around the sewing machine without you...but there is handsewing...etc.
Oh, my daughter made potholders for her mother and grandmothers for Christmas.
We love all things crafty around here.
smile.png

I am the queen of trying all things crafty. Both my grandmothers were that way and so was my mom.

I just wanted to know about what age they started on the sewing machine, because mine is only 5 and i know she would want to try and then if it was still to hard for her she would get frustrated and I don't want that. I may wait about a year on the sewing and start her on crocheting.

Sheila

I am going to start teaching my 7yo to sew next week. She has been crocheting since I taught her at 5yo. She learned then, but kind of lost interest and has picked up back up over the last 6-8 months and is crazy about crocheting. She has 3 projects going right now.

Back
Top Bottom