BYC SEWING/QUILTING CLUB

Thanks I'll give those a search.. I have the patterns etc but cant' find where they came from! lol

It's the kind of thing where they send you a big binder and then every month send you a few more. I had the Wildlife Fact File as a child too. Very informational too, lol.

Quote:
I just checked my binder and it is from The House of White Birches. I also have the Wildlife Facts one, also one on Gardening and one on Home Repair.

Well, we did not build a table just bought one. Sewing machince and loom are now set up. First project done was sewing up the dog toy. Had to find my hand needles for that she is so ruff on her soft toys.

Ok, I read that whole thread so have the links that were provided. That was well worth the read for now I know what to do with all my DH blown out jeans I have been cutting up for the rag bin. I shall make a rag quilts with them for the bed as we need to new bedspread. It will take a bit too for it is a kingsize bed. LOL I will have to buy batting and probably more thread, deffinatly more needles. First thing first though I have alot of jeans to cut up first. At least I can get them out of the closet now.
love.gif

Got one question can one make a quilts with Jersey or tshirts? I have some heavier wieght jersey and DH has alot of blowout armpit Ts. Is there a way I could use these in a quilt? Or is jersy just too stretchy? Thanks.
frow.gif

Love the fabrics. Yellow Brick Road Pattern would look great with those. Just need 2 more fabrics, maybe something contrasting and a border fabric. Shoot me your snail mail and I will send you a copy of the pattern.

Quitling is pretty easy. Heck I taught myself. I don't do a lot of piece work with all the pretty patterns, I just can't deal with all those little bitty pieces.
barnie.gif
Now if I have a patten and not just measurements that I can blow up, I can do some of that. 9 Patch and of course Crazy Quilting are some of the easiest.

I'm working on some stip piecing stuff now. Well as soon as I finish the one for the quilt show on April 19th (don't think I am going to make it) and the new quail house, and all the other stuff that needs to get done now that spring is finally hear (oops don't say that too loud, it's liable to snow next week!)

Quote:
I have made t-shirt quilts before. You have 2 options. One is to applique them right onto a backing, and the other is to sew them together as if they were quilt squares, and then quilt them very carefully. For lap quilts, I sew them together, then quilt them right on to a piece of fleece with the edges turned in and sewed down. Sometimes, I even do them like a rag quilt, with the seams on the outside. It gives it nice texture. I did this for my brother after he graduated, with all his school team tees that he didn't want to wear but wanted to save.
smile.png

Have fun!

Quote:
I think you are talking to me. I would love to get a pattern. I never understood quilting. I dont know how people do the edges and all that stuff. It is too cool. What supplies do I need? I will PM you.

Yup, you, lol.

This one is really easy and takes only a few hours. All you need is 6 fat quarters (you can use more fabirc and make a bigger quilt, will send those instructions too) 1 yard for border, backing fabric, cutting mat, rotory cutter, and ruler. I use a sewing machine to sew mine so it takes only a short period of time. By hand is longer of course.

Quote:
How big is the quilt? Yes I have a sewing machine too, very basic though. I used to hand sew and it takes sooooo long. I have never done backing or any of that and have a stupid question. Where do you "close" it at? In stuffies or dolls you sew it, turn it and then close the area you turned, is that how a quilt works too? I feel so silly. I purchased a couple of quilting magazines today, I hope they can answer some of my other questions. Thank you for being willing to send the instructions. I super appreciate it.
big_smile.png

A quilt is basicly a sandwich of 2 fabrics and a batting (stuffing) in between. 99% of the time you sew it with all the right sides of fabric facing up. Basicly tracing the squares or maybe a pattern. I have made quilts where I take some batting or an old blanket and fabric, sew around all the sides leaving a space about 8 inches and turn it inside right. Like the stuffies, etc. Then I'll stitch the opening closed and usually around again about an inch from the edge. Have done several of these "pro bono" for various charities.

PS one of my favorite ways is "raw edge", basicly you sew all the edges on top not hiding the "raw edge". They fray with age and washing. Plus they hide booboos!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom