BYC SEWING/QUILTING CLUB

Great explanation Coyote..you are in good hands Roses & Cybercat! There are sooooo many brand new quilters on the swap block threads people are very helpful and forgiving so feel free to jump right in and sign yourself up for a block for the april swap! You can do the basic 9-patch block and make it 12 x 12 and from there branch out alittle, course I liek the look of the 9 patch and will end up making quilts just with that block style! Good luck!

Got a couple questions on the rag quilt. Do I need a binder on it? And how large can I make the squares? I have enough jeans for the top still trying to choose the bottom just might end up flannel.

Acre would be one to pm about the jean rag quilt, I think she just made one, also Chevybeth, seems Piecemaker did too, the rest of us have just been oogling them..pm one of those girls for help on that kind of quilting, I know they'll have the answer to your questions
smile.png

Quote:
The only bad thing about a large denim rag quilt is the weight, just the denim alone will be heavy . But it is do able. I made one that fit a twin bed like a spread would. The smaller the squares the more the seams you have to add weight. Even on my 45x50 inch ones I use a 6 1/2 or 7 inch square with about a 3/4 inch seam. The bigger the seam the more rag look you get. I wouldn't do less than 1/2 inch seam though, not enough rag look. It also helps if you have a good size table to work on when you start sewing it all together. I clip my seams as I sew each row together instead of clipping everything in the end
I would not use batting in it if it is going to be bigger than say a twin. Just use cotton or flannal on the back. If you want more rag look you could sew a strip of demin in the seam does that make sence. And take it to the laundry place to wash it the frist time. They are fun to make and can take any miss use you can dish out.
I'll shut up now
duc.gif
Have fun making yours
piecmaker

This is great info Scrambled Eggs and Piecemaker. I love following this thread and picking up all the great info and advise. I haven't even figured out what binding is yet. Cybercat you are way ahead of me already.
big_smile.png

Quote:
The only bad thing about a large denim rag quilt is the weight, just the denim alone will be heavy . But it is do able. I made one that fit a twin bed like a spread would. The smaller the squares the more the seams you have to add weight. Even on my 45x50 inch ones I use a 6 1/2 or 7 inch square with about a 3/4 inch seam. The bigger the seam the more rag look you get. I wouldn't do less than 1/2 inch seam though, not enough rag look. It also helps if you have a good size table to work on when you start sewing it all together. I clip my seams as I sew each row together instead of clipping everything in the end
I would not use batting in it if it is going to be bigger than say a twin. Just use cotton or flannal on the back. If you want more rag look you could sew a strip of demin in the seam does that make sence. And take it to the laundry place to wash it the frist time. They are fun to make and can take any miss use you can dish out.
I'll shut up now
duc.gif
Have fun making yours
piecmaker

Ok, that helps out thanks piecemaker. We need this to be warm for it is meant to be our winter quilt. Our bedroom gets aslot colder than rest of the house. Many night we sleep with comfortor and two heavy blankets even with heat on. Not to mention cats on the bed.
big_smile.png
So something heavy and durable is great. Most of the jeans are real worn though so that will help on the heavyness. I will make squares as big as possible with at least a 1/2 inch seam. Now to buy alot of jean neddles.

I need quilt pattern help. I have been looking for a pattern that I saw many many years ago. I thought it was called wedding rings But the patterns I have seen for that do not look like this at all.

This was not a repeated patten or a block but the main design in the middle of the quilt. Best I can come is the magiacian ring trick with 2 rings locked togehter. So it is 2 rings overlapped not four. I have looked in many places for it but am having no luck. It is not double wedding rings either as that is repeated and this is not. As I said this take up a big portion of the quilt.

Any clues of where I should look or what it is called?

Back
Top Bottom