BYC SEWING/QUILTING CLUB

I have a question. How do you all do your quilt bindings? I do it the way I learned through an online tutorial... mitered corners and all. Then I stitch it to the back of the quilt by hand. This takes forever and I sometimes worry how well it will hold up. I noticed that on the quilts that the ladies at church make for the boys' home, they have zig-zag stitched over the edge of the binding. So, I just wondered if anyone does this any other ways or has some advice.
smile.png
Thanks!

I hand stitch the binding down on the back too (put on the front with machine though - I'm not totally crazy
wink.png
) I actually enjoy that part. Before the big TV switch, when we still had stations, I'd sit and sew bindings on in the evening while I sort of watched tv, LOL! I found it relaxing.

I've tried to sew it by machine, but I always miss some, or the corner turns out terrible. Then I'm irritated with myself for putting so much work into it, and messing it up with a short cut at the end. I haven't tried bringing the backing around to the front -- that might be a good comprimise!

I forgot to say that I tried doing it with a machine once, too... but that was before I knew how to do binding, so I didn't even sew it to the front first like you are supposed to. My first quilt I hand stitched the binding on the front and back. On the second one I started hand stitching, got pressed for time, and decided to try the machine. I didn't use a zig-zag stitch (my old machine requires an add-on for anything other than a straight stitch). It didn't come out well at all. I had to sew it several times because I missed spots on the front or back. Once I found that tutorial and learned how you were really supposed to do binding, they look much nicer! I feel bad for the recipients of those first two quilts...

big_smile.png
Don't worry Beth, I'm pretty sure that they will never know the difference! I used to worry too, but most of my gifts have gone to people who have never sewn or quilted in their lives! That's how I made myself feel less self-concious anyway.
lol.png
roll.png

Quote:
The one that was machine sewed and was the one I was most disppointed in went to my best friend (since we were like 4) for her baby girl last year. I apologized for it and she told me that she saw nothing wrong with it. Like you said, she doesn't sew or quilt, so it wouldn't be as obvious to her.

The one quilt I was most nervous about was the one I made for my DH's grandma for her birthday. She speaks her mind and is very critical of others. I have had her compliment me before while talking badly about a friend of hers that quilts - just running down her abilities. So, I was scared to give her a quilt because I thought for sure she'd find something wrong with it! Fortunately, I have yet to hear her complain, so that makes me feel a lot less self-conscious about it!

Back
Top Bottom