BYC Spinning Fiber

I spun my first hank of Tartan's wool. He's my Jacob wether (wooly beast on the left)

Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full

After shearing. I sheared him myself with hand shears so it's a little messy but the wool's staple length was still impressive.
This was his first shearing (1 yr old)

It's the dark one one top. I spun it directly from the teased locks, sun-kissed tips, long staple length, very soft!
The other two are alpaca and angora for color comparison.

Polwarth, I think I will have an extra roving in this color, I purchased all 3 so I knew I would have enough for my project, here's a different roving done with the same way, just a different order of color. the start and finish are the same

This is Mixed BFL, also a single

Last edited:
Hi- I'm new to this thread, but have been spinning for about 2 years. I also dye my own fiber and have learned to weave to use up some of the excess. My family thinks I'm bonkers, but it's nice to know that there are others out there who see and think the same way. :)

I'm really impressed with everyone's work here - I'm still working on consistency and eveness of my yarn. I'll get it some day. I have 7 lbs. of Romney to work on!

"I spin so I don't kill people" is so appropriate sometimes!
My kids say I'm prepared for the zombie apocalypse.... the survivors will keep me around to make them sweaters.....
Deb

I picked up a drop spindle and some wool roving at my LYS last week and spent an hour or so reading and watching tutorials on YouTube...here's what I've got so far. I only had to start over once! I love just knowing I could make yarn and clothe myself if I had to, and I could definitely see myself acquiring a wheel and a few alpacas over the next few years.
Great job! Welcome to the spinning world!

Thanks to Mullerslanefarm I have found it!! hello all you fellow spinners. My girlfriend and I have been spinning for a while now and use both drop spindles and wheels. we have done many different types, but my favortie so far is the merino and jacob!! This is a pic of the latest jacob that we found. It is brownish-grey and my husband loves it!! Bad pic but, is gorgeous!!

Lovely Jacob linsay! I have no idea about the shipping and importing but there are a couple of contacts for Jacob fleeces on the Oregon Wool Growers website. I have gotten Romney and Wensleydale fiber through there. Etsy has been another great source for specific breeds of fiber.

Carded a multi colored Jacob fleece last month. Can't wait to start spinning it but need to work through some other wool first. The day I carded it I brought home way more fiber than there is storage room. It is a good problem to have but there are bags of ready to spin wool stacked in the middle of the floor. Spun a couple of big skeins of brown Icelandic last week and started on 3 ply Wensleydale lamb yesterday. In this case spinning = house cleaning right?
big_smile.png

I have 7 alpacas, so I spin their fiber. I have a louet spinning wheel and a couple of drop spindles. I knit and felt, and I'm hoping to get into weaving!

Back
Top Bottom