Cable Ties for Chick ID

No red - see available colors below

I have cable ties (4") in 8 colors -
black, white, blue, orange, yellow, green, brown, and gray

I will ship your choice of quanity and colors (up to 100) for $.10 each. I will ship up to 200 for $.08 each and over 200 for $.06 each. If you want larger quantities, PM me for details.

Choose your own color combinations and use multiple colors and alternate legs to track your breeding or just to be able to tell your chickens apart! Track your guesses of gender from hatch to crow (or egg!) Use different combinations of colors to indicate which birds came out of the best colored eggs. The possibilities are endless!

Plan to use three consecutive ties (same colors) while the bird is growing, and then one, once the leg has reached full size. Don't forget to order extra's in case you have to replace some, unexpectedly.

Make sure to check the fit on the birds leg often to ensure that the tie is not too tight. Ties should be cut off and replaced before the band will not slide freely on the shank of the leg.

Not recommended for feather legged birds (the ties are small enough to be hidden by the feathers and bands may not be noticed before they are too tight.)
What do you recommend as chick ID for feather-shanked birds? Toe punches are a hassle and not easily readable. Like NOT readable from a distance. I have the wider bandettes on the adults but mostly all I can see is color, not the numbers. I've heard about colored Sharpie marks for chicks and I don't really want to have to do that every week. Another person used the greasy sheep markers and said they lasted for months on the back of the legs. What to do?

I have lately been looking at and considering wing bands. You can not read, or even see them, from a distance, but if you get the colored ones, you can use them on batches or seasons to determine age. I don't recommend the small cable ties, mainly because on feather legged birds it's easy to miss when they get too tight. If your birds are adults, they will work and you can leave the "tail" or extra length on them to show beyond the feathers on the legs. At home, I don't cut them off.

Spring hatching was crazy! I have never seen so many chicks! Well, at least not home grown chicks. I still have cable ties in all the colors, but some are running low. If you want particular colors and may need quite a few, be sure to PM me and lets make sure I have what you need. Happy Hatching!

I have been using the ties to help me decide on breeders for next spring. I will look through my flock and judge one or two qualities at a time. I am new to selective breeding and it is a bit overwhelming to try to look at them all at the same time. For example, if I am looking at tail set, I will pick out the birds with the best ones and attach a blue tie to each's leg. Next time, I will look at the back for the proper length and slope. The best ones get a yellow tie. Each quality will get a different color and when I am done, the one with the most bling wins! It is simple to add or remove the ties as the birds develop. I can also determine complementary pairings by looking at which bands are missing and which band are there.

Last edited:
Got my ties!! Thanks Wisher1000, I hope they work for emu legs.
1f603.png

Oh, Farmchick! I hope you are joking. They are tooo small to last long for emu babies. You were kidding me, right? If that WAS your intended use, I will take them back and give you a refund.

They aren't going to be permanent bands on emu legs only a way for me to mark the chicks so I can send DNA off to sex them. So as long as they can stay on the legs for maybe up to a week then all is good. If they don't work I have chickens hatching that I can use them on.
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom