Cackle Hatchery reviews

Pics
Not to mention quarantining birds is much much harder than just keeping some separated out. Many avian diseases are passed through the air. I know whatever was wrong with the birds I got from them was due to bad breeding simply because only the one type of turkey was affected. Every other bird in the brooder is fine still. I feel like cackle hatchery grew too large too fast and just can't keep up.

Last edited:
Well if harm comes to your other poultry and you can get in touch with some of the other people that also got defective contagious birds from cackle sue them for the loss of your other poultry. But it's possible that improper breeding is to blame for this sussex fiasco in which case they would just need to refund the purchase price of the defective birds but if they sent you birds that cause your established flock to die off then sue them for the cost of the earlier poultry

Sorry @ledbythelamb I responded by calling you Jeff in my response. So you have 21 chicks in the garage at a little over a month old. When my coop wasn't finished when I first started with my chickens a few years ago I put them in dog crates and covered the outside with cardboard so the coons couldn't reach in and pull them out. Yep they would pull them out between the wire slits. You could request as many crates as you can get from friends (at least one sq foot per chicken or as near as possible. I put 4 in a small crate and six in a large crate. Cleaning is easy just remove the sliding plastic bottom (you can do that without removing the birds) give them their feed only twice a day along with water and plenty of lettuce/cherry tomatoes to keep them busy. or go newspaper and roll up and dispose, or if you have a farmers vet in your area he just may know by looking at one or information you give over the phone. I could make a couple guesses but your best to have a vet diagnose and try to get it in writing. Who knows when Cackle will get back to you and if it is contagious you don't want to put your established girls in harms way. Good luck and do make Cackle pay the piper. If they want to keep a decent rep they need to back the stock they sell. I would want my money back on a foal that was delivered with strangles or at least they would cover the problem. (vet bills and Pen shots and recovery time) Like I said before monetary is probably second. Time invested, feed, and compromised schedule is first, along with customer service. If you Joe Blow didn't buy their stock they'd have NO business.

I ordered 15 chicks and 3 ducks, the 2 chick extras died and one came in sickly and died a a day or two later other then that I was very happy very beautiful birds

We will see, i just ordered 15 Cochins. They specified on my order that two of the types are Standerd size, as requested...but on the third they did not specify size so i am hopeing they dont send me bantems.

In the beginning of May I ordered 10 Spitzhaubens and 10 columbian wyandottes from Cackle. They gave me a ship date of 6/2/2014. They shipped them the afternoon of the 2nd. They arrived to Northern Minnesota today at 5:30 AM. I recieved 11 spitzhaubens and 11 Columbian wyandottes. They are all in excellent health and didn't even seem to be stressed from the trip. Best shipping I've experienced. Just thought I'd share.

See, that's how my order last year went, but this year the turkeys just aren't right. The chicks--perfect. The poults just aren't right. I now have chicks that are bigger than poults. And that should never happen. Especially when the chicks are 4 days younger than the poults

I haven't got a chance to catch up on this- are you feeding game bird starter? Did you add anything to the water when you got them? Have you added diced boiled eggs to see if a boost in protein helps? Are they separate from the chicks to prevent cross-infection? What did Cackle say when told them there was a problem?

I always use rooster booster in their water, I am feeding a 28% starter feed. The chickens and turkeys are together because that's the way I've always done it. The chick's are doing great the turkeys are well- just not right. Last year I got turkeys from cackle. Bourbon red. All survived well into adult hood. This year got 8 black Spanish and 8 blue slate. Almost all the black Spanish dropped dead within the first 2 days...they refunded my money for those, but the remaining turkeys are just well, again, not right. They eat they drink they run they jump they chirp...but it's like I got miniature turkeys or something. I've started giving them just raw eggs mixed in their crumbles. I also give them grass and seeds and such out of the yard. Gave them a boiled egg earlier today. I'm doing everything the same I always have. I have started everyone on corid because while the turkeys that died have been weeks ago I had one stop eating and just stand around until it basically starved to death last night...so started them on corid and will keep giving them the egg mash and maybe they will turn into honest to goodness turkeys, but right now I have my doubts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom