Cackle Hatchery reviews

Pics
I ordered 20 chicks and all arrived healthy with extra chicks as well. I ordered silkies, old English games and cubalays and a jungle fowl mix. The Yokohamas were not very strong and I did lose one, but the website noted they needed special care. Otherwise a great experience thus far, with 22 out of the 25 about three month old now.

I am getting 15 chicks (5 EE, 5 cherry egger, and 5 BO) mailed on Wednesday. Since I am only about 3 hours away, I am expecting them to arrive on Thursday. I'll let you guys know my review then!

My first set of 6 chicks were all suppose to be pullets but they ended up having 3 roosters. I bought them from Orschelens so it makes me wonder where they get their chicks from. Though it could be the stores fault, I had them save my chicks in the back room because I wasn't going to be there for 2 hours after they got their chicks and was afraid they'd sell out.

I got them in! They were all alive and I got a few extra! I'll upload some pictures soon and let you know how they are doing. They sent me a variety of colors on the EE which I'm happy about.

ahI ordered 20 chicks and all arrived healthy with extra chicks as well. I ordered silkies, old English games and cubalays and a jungle fowl mix. The Yokohamas were not very strong and I did lose one, but the website noted they needed special care. Otherwise a great experience thus far, with 22 out of the 25 about three month old now.
Could you add a pic of the silkies?..I ordered silkies from another hatchery and am soo bummed...Mine are almost 3 months old and they never had poufs on their head...Some have a shock of feathers on the top of their heads..And some have regular feathers on their wings...

Update on the turkeys. Lost one of the bourbon red toms a few weeks ago, I don't know what happened, but he just became sick and died all in a day. Now out of the 14 that remain, there are 10 toms and 4 hens
roll.png
. They are 13 weeks old and the boys are starting to strut and gobble a lot.

I ordered 40 Barred Rocks from Cackle Hatchery a few weeks ago and they arrived this morning.

All of them arrived alive, healthy and active. Total shipping time was 2 days. This was my first mail order purchase and so far, I am pleased with the results. I am especially pleased with their health since it is unseasonably cold and rainy for SC in October!

One thing I should mention: we were supposed to get chicks from the Oct 7th run (the date given on their website and the one we requested.) However, they arrived a week early and we are still building their coop. Still, the fact that they arrived too soon is the only minor complaint that we have... and most folks would not see that as a reason to complain!

I ordered 40 Barred Rocks from Cackle Hatchery a few weeks ago and they arrived this morning.

All of them arrived alive, healthy and active.  Total shipping time was 2 days. This was my first mail order purchase and so far, I am pleased with the results. I am especially pleased with their health since it is unseasonably cold and rainy for SC in October!

One thing I should mention: we were supposed to get chicks from the Oct 7th run (the date given on their website and the one we requested.) However, they arrived a week early and we are still building their coop.  Still, the fact that they arrived too soon is the only minor complaint that we have... and most folks would not see that as a reason to complain!

Similarly, our only issue with our Cackle order was that, from past experience with other hatcheries, we expected about 5 percent morality/wrong sexing from chick to laying hen. They turned out to be all hens, and they are all (touch wood) in brilliant health.
So we have a few too many of them!
Luxury problem.

Below find an email and response from Cackle that I found rather rude. I have ordered Brown Leghorns from them several years back, and did not get just one pullet out of six birds. In fact, I have ordered six birds of several different breeds this year and this is the ONLY one I've had this problems with. I have ordered from Cackle, Ideal, Meyer, and Estes, who was particularly nice and sent me an extra chick of each type I ordered. I have ordered 25 birds per shipment, staggered every two weeks since the end of July. Of the 129 birds I received I've only lost two. One from Meyer died the day after receiving the shipment. One from Cackle developed an extremely crooked beak and die at about six weeks. Cackle did replace that one.

I guess my point in all of this is that this ain't my first rodeo, and I was shocked and appalled at their response, even if what she said was correct. I've ordered over $150 worth of birds from them this year. I have always loved Cackle hatchery, gotten good service and healthy birds. I am wondering if I should take a chance and order from them again, complain some more, or do nothing and just take my business elsewhere. Thoughts?

Cynthia Durham <[email protected]>

cleardot.gif
Sep 16
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to cacklehatchery
cleardot.gif

To Whom It May Concern:

I ordered 6 Brown Leghorn chicks from you back in July. They were hatched on July 29 and I received them on July 31, 2015.

They were supposed to be straight run.

Near as I can tell, I have 5 cockerels and one pullet. I have the pullet's picture attached below (she's a very pretty young lady), as well as one of the cockerels. I can try to line them all up together, but that will be rather hard to do. They are rather fast, and I am old and slow.

I'd appreciate it very much if you would issue a credit on my account. I won't be ordering from you again until next spring.

Thanks in advance,

Cindy

P.S. I've attached some pics of the others. They've all done pretty well. The Rhode Island Whites are gorgeous!

Cynthia L. Durham
28 Dawson Lane
Gordonsville, TN 38563
615-281-2361

Choose this day who you will serve. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " -George Orwell

"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." Ronald Reagan

6 Attachments

profile_mask2.png
Cackle Hatchery <[email protected]>

cleardot.gif
Sep 16
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Leghorn type birds usually run heavy on cockerels. You are just taking a chance when you order straight run especially as few as you ordered. Sorry that the numbers were not in your favor this time. Your order was put up out of a box of birds that just came out of the hatcher (not sexed) Sincerely,

Nancy Smith
Owner/Operator
Cackle Hatchery
PO Box 529
Lebanon, Missouri 65536
Office 417-532-4581

Fax 417-588-1918
Email: [email protected]

www.cacklehatchery.com

Specialized in hatching and shipping day old pure bred poultry to your local post since "1936".

This electronic message contains information generated by Cackle Hatchery solely for the intended recipients and is private and confidential. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties.

Below find an email and response from Cackle that I found rather rude. I have ordered Brown Leghorns from them several years back, and did not get just one pullet out of six birds. In fact, I have ordered six birds of several different breeds this year and this is the ONLY one I've had this problems with. I have ordered from Cackle, Ideal, Meyer, and Estes, who was particularly nice and sent me an extra chick of each type I ordered. I have ordered 25 birds per shipment, staggered every two weeks since the end of July. Of the 129 birds I received I've only lost two. One from Meyer died the day after receiving the shipment. One from Cackle developed an extremely crooked beak and die at about six weeks. Cackle did replace that one.

I guess my point in all of this is that this ain't my first rodeo, and I was shocked and appalled at their response, even if what she said was correct. I've ordered over $150 worth of birds from them this year. I have always loved Cackle hatchery, gotten good service and healthy birds. I am wondering if I should take a chance and order from them again, complain some more, or do nothing and just take my business elsewhere. Thoughts?

There isn't anything they could do in a situation like that. As she said, it's a risk when you get straight run as you could get anything. I bought 15 turkeys from them this year and ended up with 10 toms and 5 hens. It isn't there fault, it was just bad luck.

You knowingly ordered straight run chicks. That means you could receive anything from all pullets to all cockerels and any other combination in between. You took your chances. Just because you did not get the number of pullets you were planning on does not mean they are at fault and owe you a refund. If you want pullets then order pullets.

Last year I put 9 eggs in the incubator at the same time I gave some broody hens 7 eggs. Out of the 9 I hatched 8 were cockerels. Out of the seven the broodies hatched, ALL were male. I ended up with 15 out of 16 cockerels. It happens, so don't blame the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom