Cackle Surprise box

lmsw0422

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 11, 2014
Middle Tennessee
I’m wanting to order the Cackles Hatchery Surprise box but was wondering what everyone’s results have been? Hens to Roos ratio? And different breed ratios? Also when is the best time to order to get the largest assortment? Thanks in advance!

bus bump GIF

This link will take you to a MASSIVE thread about the surprise box.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-anybody-got-this-before.139517/post-1695326

From my reading over the years....yes YEARS in that thread it tends to be roughly 50% females.
I will 110% agree with this reply! I bought a hatchery surprise and it was 50/50 of the BEST breeds possible. It was the start of my chicken math. I absolutely don't regret it though. It has given me a great perspective on what breeds I want to keep and expand on and also what I'm ready to sell.

I'm in the FB group for the surprise box, which is run by employees, and they've said that half the box is sexed females (which of course is not 100%) and the other half is straight-run. What you get is dependent on what's hatching on that date since it's made up of "extras," but they make an effort to include at least a handful or two of rarer/fun breeds and like to include one or two extra special birds (turkeys, ducks, guineafowl) if they can. Technically, geese can be included, but this year was the first in several that anyone received any goslings and they said that it's really uncommon that they have any extras to tuck into boxes. You can request no waterfowl if you call in your order. My box shipped yesterday and someone else in the group with the same hatch/ship date got 8 guinea keets in her box -- a major WOW! If you order, you can sometimes get an idea of what to expect as the date nears based on what they're advertising on the regular Cackle page, too (for example, they were really pushing their guineafowl, Dominiques, and various Marans for this week).

I'm still in the ID group and they were saying that day, they came up short on turkeys and ducks (even just for regular orders) so they weren't able to tuck any into the surprise boxes, but I think they tried to make up for it by including a couple of rarer chicken chicks where they could! Mottled Houdans were one, and I think I may see one in your box. :D

Back
Top Bottom