Cage for a Cockatiel

Cydney83

Songster
9 Years
Feb 18, 2010
Central New York!
Hi. I have been on BYC and just saw this thread! Love it! My daughter just got a Tiel and we are in search for a cage. It is in a round cage now..maybe 13"x 24...it is kind of big but she would like one with a perch on top...we do have 2 cats..one doesn't seem to care the other..well she is young so we hope to train it to leave it alone..I have chicks also...anyway..Any thoughts on a cage..and bar spacing..the one she is looking at is 20x20 square and with a stand 58" tall..that is including the stand, the spacing is 5/8" and it is under 100$..the bird is a white face...and is 3 mos old. Any thought would help. Thanks!

20x20? Sounds a bit small, but it's way easier for me to judge in person, so if you think it's fine, it probably is.

The only thing is, shouldn't you have gotten the cage first?

Quote:
LOL! well we had that round one and we have been looking for the perfect tiel and it was advertized and we saw it the 1st day it was available ...and other folks were wanting to see it if we didn't like it..so we know if had a cage just not the one my daughter wanted..

pandapaws23; why are round not good?

Quote:
LOL! well we had that round one and we have been looking for the perfect tiel and it was advertized and we saw it the 1st day it was available ...and other folks were wanting to see it if we didn't like it..so we know if had a cage just not the one my daughter wanted..

Ooh

Quote:

Round cages can be bad news because they can be detrimental to a parrot's psychological health. Birds are very intelligent creatures, but many have driven themselves crazy climbing around and around in round cages, and feeling like they're never getting anywhere. Giving a bird an angular cage provides them with reference points to different locations in their territories -- thus helping them feel confident, safe, and secure.

Back
Top Bottom