Calcium, protein, and mixed ages

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
Opinions? Advice? On FEED, please. I've read several threads on this topic, but would like further input:

My flock is mixed age groups - new hatch (tomorrow), (17) at 4 weeks, (6) at 8-1/2 weeks, (7) at 13 weeks, and about (38) 1 year and older. Two mature roosters. Egg production in this extreme summer heat and with hawks and foxes hanging around is about 18-20 eggs a day. My 17 littles 4-wks old live separated in their own coop, as will be the new hatch in their brooder. The 8-wk-olds are in process of integration in the main run and coop, 13-wk-olds are already fully integrated.

I feed chick starter to the babies, of course, and to the 4-wk-old littles in their coop. I feed Egg layer pellets to all of the older chicks and chickens. I'm worried about the 8-wk-olds especially, and the 13-wk-olds, on layer feed. I've read that the extra calcium is bad for their kidneys. I've been side-dressing the layer feed with some chick starter, and putting a good mixture near where the 8-wk-olds like to hang out in the run. However, I can't integrate them and feed only chick starter separately with my setup. I know I could feed All-Flock with oyster shell on the side, but lately I've been getting some soft shell and shell-less eggs, so I don't think the big girls are getting enough calcium even with layer feed and a generous dish of oyster shell. Their layer feed has been 16% protein and I don't know how much calcium. I assumed it was enough. Apparently not.

Anyway, I just stocked up today on Egg producer crumbles, 20% protein and 4.9% calcium, and plan to switch their feeds tomorrow. I've learned my girls prefer the crumbles better anyway, and hope the higher protein compensates for what the older chicks aren't getting in starter feed. And maybe the calcium isn't too high for them? But is the calcium high enough for my layers, too?

What happens to chicks who get too much calcium, anyway?

Alright, alright... I did some more reading and am convinced. Damn. They'll all be getting starter feed until I can get to the feed store.... AGAIN. For All-Flock and replenish the starter.

Back
Top Bottom