Calcium supplements

Jmerilli

Chirping
Mar 22, 2022
What does everyone use as calcium supplement for their hens? I have a flock of 6 hens(2-23 weeks and 4-18 weeks) and 1 rooster. I bought layer feed but learned that high calcium levels in the feed can be bad for the rooster. So I’m getting an all flock feed and want to supplement my hens with calcium. I am crushing the shells of the eggs they lay and feeding them to the hens, what else should I give? I read you can crush calcium Tablets and put them in the shells as well. Are they over the counter tablets? Special chicken tablets? Is there a dose amount? What other things can I use as well? Thanks in advance!

I think the consensus is crushed oyster shell. It is readily available in feed stores.
Even Walmart carries it where I live.
In emergencies, I hear folks have used human supplement tablets for acute deficits.
I agree 💯. I feed my crew (4 hens and 1 rooster) all flock and have oyster shell in a separate container on the side. The hens will take what they need. You can feed them their own crushed egg shells but it is my understanding that they need to be baked prior. Oyster shell is fairly cheap and I get a big bag at TSC. The bag should last you a good while depending on flock size. For you it should be a good while. I only have to fill my my feeder of oyster shell ever couple of weeks. Hope that helps!

I agree 💯. I feed my crew (4 hens and 1 rooster) all flock and have oyster shell in a separate container on the side. The hens will take what they need. You can feed them their own crushed egg shells but it is my understanding that they need to be baked prior. Oyster shell is fairly cheap and I get a big bag at TSC. The bag should last you a good while depending on flock size. For you it should be a good while. I only have to fill my my feeder of oyster shell ever couple of weeks. Hope that helps!

You don't have to bake the shells, though many people do.

I just air-dry mine -- which works because my house is rather dry.

You don't have to bake the shells, though many people do.

I just air-dry mine -- which works because my house is rather dry.
Good to know you can just air dry them. I went the oyster shell route because of convenience. I didn't have time to be baking things....lol. Plus we're not terribly consistent with our egg eating habits throughout the week.

I think the consensus is crushed oyster shell. It is readily available in feed stores.
Even Walmart carries it where I live.
In emergencies, I hear folks have used human supplement tablets for acute deficits.
Yup. The calcium citrate pills should be reserved for serious conditions (emergencies). Oyster shell is commonly available and cheap.

Back
Top Bottom