How to increase calcium besides oyster shells?

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
We have had two egg bound hens in the last few months and I’ve noticed some of the egg shells seem to be thinner/weaker. We use Kalmbach Layer feed which has 3.5% calcium and we offer oyster shells at all time, but I rarely see them eat it. What else can we do to increase their calcium? I asked about adding liquid calcium to their water and it seems that might not be the best idea. Any other suggestions?

When I see weak shells I will give those girls calcium citrate with D3 pills for a couple weeks to help get them back up. You also can try feeding back eggshells, but if they are thin they may not have enough calcium. I also switched to flaked oyster shell and mine seem to eat that more readily.

How do you administer this?

As some extra boosters,,Greens are also high in calcium. Dandelion, kale, collard, broccoli, and turnip greens are some of the best and easiest to grow. Avoid spinach and beet greens, as they bind calcium, making it pass through rather than be used.

When I see weak shells I will give those girls calcium citrate with D3 pills for a couple weeks to help get them back up. You also can try feeding back eggshells, but if they are thin they may not have enough calcium. I also switched to flaked oyster shell and mine seem to eat that more readily.
Where'd you find the flaked oyster? Only place I see it is on Amazon....

Back
Top Bottom