Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
Don't you get calico cochins from originally breeding a Cochin with a mille fleur? The same as when you breed splash birds, you can get gray or splash or white. If they are made by crossing a mille fleur with a white Cochin there will be mille fleur that come out in some occasionally. Right? (I am asking, not trying to sound rude, so please don't take offense, and tell me if I am not correct)
mille fleur cochins result from a combination of buff columbian and mottled. calicos are simply mis-marked mille fleur.

splash is related to the blue/black/splash. white is another story all together and has no place with bbs or mille fleur/calico.

crossing a cochin with mille fleur d'uccle will result in a leggy bird with sparse leg/foot feathering, and beard/muffs, that may or may not be properly marked, depending what it was crossed with.

Mille Fleur is a color, not a breed. What you are referring to as "mille fleur" is actually a d'Uccle with the mille fleur coloring. It's a common mistake! But d'Uccles come in other others, and the color mille fleur comes in other breeds.
big_smile.png

In Cochins we're trying to create the mille fleur coloring, but as Karen said we're only using other varieties (colors) of Cochins - not other breeds. As Mike said, Calicos are offshoots of our project, and they happen to be so pretty that many of us have time and space to make more Calicos, without the intention of going for Mille Fleur.

Actually calico''s are just offshoots from the mille fleur project. Breeding in white won't help make a calico as white is recessive. It would just continue to make more mille fleur patterned birds.

Oh. The lady I got them from told me they were mille fleur crossed with Cochin and that's why Hazel has the mille fleur look. She said this was her second (?) generation from them and not to be surprised if I see the mille fleur in their babies. Simon and Hazel were hatched at Easter this year, and I got them at about 9-10 weeks old.

Well thank you all. Now I'm reaaaaallllly wondering where the beard and muffs came from. Not all of Simon & Hazel's babies had them, of course, but this is probably the 4th little guy that did. And I've hatched several dozen. I also had 1-2 girls that had it too, but they had the calico coloring, not mille fleur. Grr!

Love love love~
Well, I haven't gotten any pictures yet, hopefully today! It's been a long week, ended up getting a stomach virus for the last week (including Thanksgiving)
sad.png
My dinner for Thanksgiving consisted of potato chips and water. Finally, today I feel like I could actually eat something. I also work at Hobby Lobby so it's our busiest season and there's just no calling off work. Just keeping the birds fed and watered has been pretty tough. I hate when I can't get out and visit with them and care for them the best I can. Everybody's gotten through it all and I'm back in action again!
I work at Hobby Lobby too!, in the Framing Dept. Their headquarters is here in OKC. I applied for a Designer position but didn't get the job. They sure do have a lot of chickens and roosters in the home decor dept.

Back
Top Bottom