Calico Cochin Thread

Pics

KDailey

Crazy Cochin Lady
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Bronson, Tx
I'm seeing some pictures in the other cochin threads of "Calico" colored birds and I absolutely LOVE them! Don't get me wrong, I love the mille fleurs, but these calicos are just soooo interesting.

I'd love to get a thread started for those with Calico Cochins, wether you just have a few or if you're trying to breed for them.

So lets hear how you're projects are going and how bout you breeders of Calicos help out us newbies with some info on how you're working on them.

Any and all pictures and information about the color are welcome!

since no one posted a picture here is my Hop-Sing
62756_10_week_chickies_016.jpg

Last edited:

These little guys are the beginning of my calico flock. I have plenty of other colors in bantam cochins,
so I'm not promoting these as a "variety", but I certainly think they are nice to look at!:)

Last edited:
Are these Bantam Cochin Roosters considered Mille Fleur, Mottled, Calico or what? :D

Ooops forgot to fix the day on these. Its taken today. They were born June 1st or so.
Their color will probably change ALOT before they are done. My current rooster had a lot of white, similar to your boys pictured here, but he is much closer to Mille Fleur as an adult.
Puck at 3 months:

Puck Now (2 years old)

It's fun to keep a photo "album" so you can see how they change over time!
pop.gif

Quote: Put their picture on the MF page, see if someone answers there. I am no expert!!! The one to me looks MF, or maybe MF split with?????
the genetics between calico and mille fleur are identical. the only difference is the amount of white that shows... if you have mostly solid colored feathers of different colors, then i'd say that's a calico. a mille should have mostly tri-colored feathers. each feather with a brown/red base, black center and white tip

Somehow I missed this post. Wow your rooster is gorgeous! I could only hope mine turn out as beautiful!

I take no credit! He came from eggs from Lynne. I hatched only two out of that batch and sadly lost his hatch mate to a predator (she was a pretty little girl, too!) luckily I have a little black mottled/mf lady his age from Amy, so hopefully I will be able to start hatching some of my own eggs, though probably not until next year at this point.
:)

Sure do!
I had ten hatch; three (of 4) from my own BMF x MF young birds, seven (of 14) from eggs ordered, which are two Mottled, two Splash mille fleur (BMF x BMF = 25% splash MF!), two blue MF, and one MF

Ethel and MF chick

Dark red MF chick

Mottled chick

Splash MF chick

Redhead MF chick

Lucy with four of her five. Note the little chipmunk one!

Ethel capitalizes on a teaching moment...

Two mama butts with random chicks! They keep heading over to see what the other group is doing...don't want to miss anything!

Catching rays...

Ricky the Blue Mille Fleur rooster keeping an eye on his two gals

Back
Top Bottom