Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
So, my luck REALLY cannot be THIS good... Anyone want to pinch me? I was convinced I had 5 cockerels/3 hens in my batch of calico babies.
I am basing it entirely on the rate of feathering, which has so far always been accurate for me (I HAVE been lucky so far and have only had pairs to compare) . But now I'm looking at these guys and only one is really screaming cockerel based on his comb development. Maybe it's just still early, but I can hope can't I?
So what method do you all use for sexing, and at what ages? These guys are 5 weeks old today.

One thing I noticed on my four is that the roosters became apparent very early. Yours look just like mine did. Well except I had two roosters and two hens but other that that!

What color parents are they by? I would say MF or split????? But, what do I know! Maybe post them on the MF info thread too.
They are mille fleur descent. Other than that I dont know. It seems like maybe they are too white for Mille Fleur. Or not? I have no experience with them so would like a more knowledgable opinion. :)

Are these Bantam Cochin Roosters considered Mille Fleur, Mottled, Calico or what? :D

Ooops forgot to fix the day on these. Its taken today. They were born June 1st or so.
Their color will probably change ALOT before they are done. My current rooster had a lot of white, similar to your boys pictured here, but he is much closer to Mille Fleur as an adult.
Puck at 3 months:

Puck Now (2 years old)

It's fun to keep a photo "album" so you can see how they change over time!
pop.gif

Quote: Put their picture on the MF page, see if someone answers there. I am no expert!!! The one to me looks MF, or maybe MF split with?????
the genetics between calico and mille fleur are identical. the only difference is the amount of white that shows... if you have mostly solid colored feathers of different colors, then i'd say that's a calico. a mille should have mostly tri-colored feathers. each feather with a brown/red base, black center and white tip

the genetics between calico and mille fleur are identical. the only difference is the amount of white that shows... if you have mostly solid colored feathers of different colors, then i'd say that's a calico. a mille should have mostly tri-colored feathers. each feather with a brown/red base, black center and white tip
They do have the three colors on each feather. Thanks very much for this information. :)

I have a question. I have 9 MF/Calico cochins that I hatched in an attempt to begin a breeding project. I, unbelievably, ended up with 2 hens and 7 roosters. Ugh. LOL
So, in the need to cut back on the roosters I have, I am trying to decide which birds to keep. Idealy, I would like to keep no more than 3 roosters at this time. So, my question is this....if my breeding project is based on a color, should I try to keep the roosters that look like their color will help me more...even if their type isn't that great? Or would you keep for type first? I will try to add some pictures later of what I have. :) Thanks!

I have a question. I have 9 MF/Calico cochins that I hatched in an attempt to begin a breeding project. I, unbelievably, ended up with 2 hens and 7 roosters. Ugh. LOL
So, in the need to cut back on the roosters I have, I am trying to decide which birds to keep. Idealy, I would like to keep no more than 3 roosters at this time. So, my question is this....if my breeding project is based on a color, should I try to keep the roosters that look like their color will help me more...even if their type isn't that great? Or would you keep for type first? I will try to add some pictures later of what I have. :) Thanks!
I would suggest type first.

Back
Top Bottom