Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
So I have a question, the white roo in my pictures came out of a calico pen, if I breed him with the calico girls, would the chicks be calico? Is he carrying calico?

We call calico anything that is showing a lot of white feathering with gold/red and black.
I have quite a few birds I will try with some "calico" breeding this year.

This is a buff Mottled girl from one of my projects. I have several brothers of her growing up now. I can't wait to see what they will turn into as she is so lovely.

I just think they need a lot of white to be calico and not as much buff/gold/red/black but a bit of that scattered in to add some color.

A really good example of what we consider calico is Lynne's (wwmicasa1) Manolete and Boots or Twyla's (wildwoodcochins) Monet and Angelo. Monet and Angelo are back in this thread. You can really see the difference in these and Mille Fleur.
Mille Fleur-

Twyla's "calico" Monet

We call calico anything that is showing a lot of white feathering with gold/red and black.
I have quite a few birds I will try with some "calico" breeding this year.

This is a buff Mottled girl from one of my projects. I have several brothers of her growing up now. I can't wait to see what they will turn into as she is so lovely.

I just think they need a lot of white to be calico and not as much buff/gold/red/black but a bit of that scattered in to add some color.
Beautiful Amy

So if I breed the white roo in there with the mille fleur pullets would that increase the white on their chicks? If not what is the best color to breed with my girls? BTW these guys are only 10 weeks old, so they have lots of growing still to do!
I need to get some better photos! I think the calico/mille fleur are all pullets! Yay, but now I need a roo!

Last edited:
So if I breed the white roo in there with the mille fleur pullets would that increase the white on their chicks? If not what is the best color to breed with my girls? BTW these guys are only 10 weeks old, so they have lots of growing still to do!
Probly not as white is resesive. So you would continue to get mille fleur for several generations. Your best bet would be to get a calico roo. But, with them, being ten weeks old, they have a lot more growing to do. Here is how my Mille Fleur Kipper has changed since I got him from Nancy. I thought he was a calico but he turned out to be Mille.

or Remington-

that's much like my little roo i'm keeping...
started off called 'skunklet' but i've named him kepiru instead. (kee-pur-oo aka keeper roo LOL) so many others have keepers i wanted a different name. LOL

Back
Top Bottom