Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
I put up an auction for a pair of MF chicks, just thought I'd mention it here
smile.png

a few shots of my gang:

from left to right you have Bonnie, Morty and Betty

My colorful boy Cosmo
didn't know you did cochins too... nice group. I like that 'confetti' looking girl. 8)
your roo looks a lot like mine... (lower left) all the rest are his kids.

didn't know you did cochins too... nice group. I like that 'confetti' looking girl. 8)
your roo looks a lot like mine... (lower left) all the rest are his kids.

Oh wow they are similar... did you get yours from Roslyn Pickens? Mine were birthday gift chicks from a dear friend who got the eggs from her. I absolutely adore them and hope to be using them some as broodys for my Faverolles and Ameracaunas (at least that is what I tell myself to justify keeping the cuties
hide.gif
LOL)

BTW I love that plump looking girly in the bottom middle picture, she is adorable

Last edited:
Quote: yes, he was the only calico to hatch from my original shipment of eggs. November of 2011. I got 2 blue partridge girls split mille fleur from Mandy and they've produced beyond my expectations. nice type and color for the most part. there's a few buff Columbians here and there, and a few that don't have the good type, but overall i'm happy. I've got my first eggs from the new pullets and his older girls in the incubator, due next week. I just got a box of eggs from Roslyn today too, mostly silver laced, but also red and partridge too.

On Calico breeding - regarding the whiteness in Calico-

The Mottle gene comes in two different appearances; the normal white tipped feathers (needed for Millie Fleur) and the "hysterical" version which is overly white. The hysterical factor isn't well defined as far as I know, but is quite common. I suspect that the Calico developed from the introduction of it into Mille lines this developing overly white patterns.

It I were breeding to increase the whiteness, I think I would look to the hysterical Mottle typed birds rather than adding in a solid white.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom