Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
I tried a hysterical Mottled boy, it did not work for me.
My Tonka....

His offspring from my MF girls.....the red is the MF offspring next to one of his daughters from a Mottled hen.

Hate to disagree, Dave, but Mottled black is not recessive. I have hatched well over 250 chicks from MF to Mottled and almost always get Mottled with slight red throats or hackles. It is truly rare to get a gold offspring like this girl pictured above.
Most everything looks like this.......

mille fleur IS mottled, with columbian added... so mottled to mille fleur, you'll get just what amy's gotten. i'd say the red ones she's gotten, the mottled is probably not homozygous black (EB) but for any mottling (mille fleur or mottled) to appear they have to be mo/mo. as for the 'hysterical' mottled vs regular, there's probably a restrictor involved, like columbian (silver columbian could do it on black-based mottled) that limits the expression of darker pigments. there are other genes that have similar results as well, so that may be it too...

Last edited:
YEA!!! Another group. I have Calico and MF Cochins. Have to admit I tend to lean more towards the Calicos. Have 5 new chicks from my little group. 2 roos and 3 hens The roos are really starting to show some color.

I fell in Love with the Calico Cochin Bantam. I just purchased 6 a week ago and I can't wait for them to grow up.

Every reference I have read including DNA analysis states that the mottle gene is recessive. This is regardless of color.
The color of your pictured chick is what I'd expect from an E/E or Er/Er black mottle cross. However, depending on the melanizers present and the e alleles, as well as the genetic make up of the MF the red chick in question is quite possibe/probable.

Dave

Every reference I have read including DNA analysis states that the mottle gene is recessive. This is regardless of color.
The color of your pictured chick is what I'd expect from an E/E or Er/Er black mottle cross. However, depending on the melanizers present and the e alleles, as well as the genetic make up of the MF the red chick in question is quite possibe/probable.

Dave
the MOTTLING gene is recessive, the black base on which it is laid is dominant... 2 totally different mutations at different loci.

and as i said before, mfc are also mo/mo... they just also happen to carry buff columbian and NOT EB (extended black).

so amy getting reds from her black mottled x mille fleur is possible, if her roo carries EB/?? (heterozygous for EB).

Back
Top Bottom