Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
Hello all! Newbie here, I did start at the beginning of this thread, but then skipped to the last pages. So interesting!

I do have a question about the word "sport", when used to describe Cochin Bantams. Is this term used to describe only Cochin chickens with a lot of white? Is it another term for "Calico"? Just confused as to when one might use it........ Hope this has not been asked before, if so, sorry for the repeat question.

all 3 happen... my own chicks tends toward the brown, but the others just depend on the e-locus gene the line is based on... and if the parents are a mixture of e-locus mutations, anything's possible.

an explanation of the basic mutations and how a few interract can be found in my sig.
Most of mine were either fairly solid black or fairly solid red at hatch... only had 2 yellow out of the bunch I hatched last year. Have no idea what it means as far as genetics, but I think color development can vary depending on line as well. Some lines seem to get lighter as they develop (like mine did) others get darker as they grow.

Last edited:
Hello all! Newbie here, I did start at the beginning of this thread, but then skipped to the last pages. So interesting!

I do have a question about the word "sport", when used to describe Cochin Bantams. Is this term used to describe only Cochin chickens with a lot of white? Is it another term for "Calico"? Just confused as to when one might use it........ Hope this has not been asked before, if so, sorry for the repeat question.
i think a 'sport' is anything varying fron the accepted ABA/APA color varieties... aka a project variety or side effect of another, such as blue... blue is recognized, splash is not, though splash is the true-breeding variety of the same mutation... so a splash lemon blue would also be considered a sport variety.

i think a 'sport' is anything varying fron the accepted ABA/APA color varieties... aka a project variety or side effect of another, such as blue... blue is recognized, splash is not, though splash is the true-breeding variety of the same mutation... so a splash lemon blue would also be considered a sport variety.
I would think a sport would be an unexpected color that showed up in a planned breeding, hence a "sport"

Thank you all for your Patience in this as I try to figure out this color thing.
hu.gif

I just need to know how to market these chicks as I sell them. Would it be reasonable to expect that the black chicks will be mottled, the brown mille fleur and the yellow calico?

I realize I am probably oversimplifying this but I just want to be truthful without just telling people "They are bantam cochins and that is all I know."
roll.png

I thought it was when I white gene that the bird carries over comes the true color and washes out the color. You see a lot of sports in the buff colors. I've seen them on the orpington thread as well.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your Patience in this as I try to figure out this color thing.
hu.gif

I just need to know how to market these chicks as I sell them. Would it be reasonable to expect that the black chicks will be mottled, the brown mille fleur and the yellow calico?

I realize I am probably oversimplifying this but I just want to be truthful without just telling people "They are bantam cochins and that is all I know."
roll.png
i call them all mille fleur, with the understanding that they won't all color out equally... regardless of chick color they still vary all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom