Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
Thanks, my question is a simple one I think! I bought my Cali's at 5 weeks old...Im beginning to believe they might be bantam instead of regular size...how can I tell? They are 4 months old now and arent very big. The roosters are beginning to crow...so....Im thinking there isnt much "growing" time left....thoughts??
there might be a couple breeders trying to develop the color in LF, but the vast majority of what's out there are bantam.

Quote: I free range all of mine every day. but then again, I've got 26 acres of wooded mountainside so they have plenty of cover if someone sends out a warning. I also have LF breeds mixed with everyone (when they're not in breeding pens) and I've got one silver grey Dorking roo that took on a hawk who was coming down toward one of Junior's girls... Junior: 1 Hawk: 0. tho he did lose part of his comb in the process.

ages of the birds range from chicks of 2 weeks old (with broody mommas, both bantam and lf) on up. Dorkings, BLRW, bantam BLRW, bantam Cochins, EE's, SFH & a few oddballs.

so it all depends on individual situations and circumstances, IMO.

From my understanding, the Mille Fleur D'Uccles were used to introduce the color pattern. They come in bantam size only, so that would explain why calico cochins only come in bantam size. Someone would have to breed a calico cochin rooster or mille rooster to standard size cochin hens in order to breed the color up to size and work it in.

Some people might have used the d'Uccles to introduce color but those are very noticeable as poor quality bantam Cochins. It is very hard to make a Cochin out of a d'Uccle cross and select for color while keeping out the qualities you don't want to see.
However, I see a lot of "bantam Cochins" photos of what people are saying are MF or Calico and know they are not what should be passed off as bantam Cochin.

Some people might have used the d'Uccles to introduce color but those are very noticeable as poor quality bantam Cochins. It is very hard to make a Cochin out of a d'Uccle cross and select for color while keeping out the qualities you don't want to see.
However, I see a lot of "bantam Cochins" photos of what people are saying are MF or Calico and know they are not what should be passed off as bantam Cochin.

Amy you hit on one of my pet peeves, I cannot stand when people present something as a "breed" when it clearly is a project... if it is not finished it is not finished PERIOD! A good friend of ine just bought "finished" Ohiki and spent a good deal of money on them, they were the sohjo color which is one of the originals... darn things had legs like storks, wrong colored legs (yellow not willow green) and most still had feathering on the legs (Cochin was used to stabilize them here as they cold not tolerate an American grain diet when they first came here). It makes my blood boil when people pull that crap, especially when they do know better.

On the other subject, I wonder if anyone would be brave enough to try using LF Jubilee English Orpington for the color in the big guys, I did notice mine develop very similarly to the millies

I am with you on that!
When I work on a project I stick to the same breed and use the base colors to make what I want. I think people do not know or are too lazy to research how to make it happen and feel they can create the color from some other breed. This is where crap starts filtering in as the breeding program goes along.

So I guess Im stuck with these chckens. They are very sweet, but I dont want anything to happen to them(hawks!). Of course, they will be in my back yard with my 3 Copper marans for protection!!

So I guess Im stuck with these chckens. They are very sweet, but I dont want anything to happen to them(hawks!). Of course, they will be in my back yard with my 3 Copper marans for protection!!
I dont think you have to be "stuck" with them. If they are bantams and you dont want bantams Im sure you could rehome them....

I didnt mean to sound harsh, I guess Im a little aggravated. The seller should have told us they were bantams. I love all sizes of chickens, I just cant have small ones because of hawks. These babies are so gentle and sweet too. I hate to have to sell them, but I will to protect them.

Don;t think that hawks won't take your big birds! I had a huge Jersey Giant get her head ripped off by a hawk and 2 weeks ago I lost a big blue Ameraucana hen to a hawk. Actually my bantams seem to be a bit smarter to stay away from hawks.

Back
Top Bottom