Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
HI! You have a handsome feller there! My blue mille fleur guy is 6 months, too. I think the wattles on yours do look a little smaller, but not too much? I'm sure they "grow" them out in their own good time!
Good Morning! Just out taking some pics...here is 6 month old roo that I just never paid much attention too, but today he just stood out. Funny how they change right in front of your eyes. Does he have exception small wattles? He is a HE don't you think?

Last edited:
I ask about the wattles because I know there is a connection to fertility linked to the condition of the comb.
I wonder if the lack of big strong wattles might mean he is not very fertile if at all???
He is a nice boy, very gentle and he gets bossed around
by Domino, the roo he shares the pen with.
I have never seen him approach a hen, I sure will be sad if he is not "manly"
hit.gif
He looks a little "henish" to me.
Guess I need to pen them separately and test him
. His name is Rojo by the way.
Thanks for the input.

I have had young roosters up their game when they become the only one around vying for the ladies attention. Separating him might help him come into his own, so to speak.

Last edited:
Some of our calico Cochin babies under strict supervision of one of their moms and one of our big roos. First time hatching Cochins and I love them. Adorable! (D'uccle, polish, sizzles in there too) :)

Well, as usual I jumped the gun, today while feeding I saw Rojo breed a hen, he was promptly knocked around by Domino, but never the less, he is for sure a HE and for sure knows it! It remains to be proven if he produces chicks.
BTW any comments on him? I like him, he sure is a bright Red and getting more colors every day, pretty tight wings too.....

Here is my boy Teddy, he was a year old in May. I started out with the plans to bred MF, but have decided I like the Calico's best!!! I can't take credit for him, I bough him from Shylee here on BYC!

Well, as usual I jumped the gun, today while feeding I saw Rojo breed a hen, he was promptly knocked around by Domino, but never the less, he is for sure a HE and for sure knows it!  It remains to be proven if he produces chicks.
BTW any comments on him?  I like him, he sure is a bright Red and getting more colors every day, pretty tight wings too.....

Though not new to chickens nor Cochins, I am new to bantam Cochins and the MF & calico colorings. He looks very nice, with good MF patterning in front as far as I can tell. His chest needs to round out some as it still looks less full than optimal, but he is only six months old you said, right? His fuller/complete rooster coloration should also fill in over the next few months. I am surprised at how much red he has on his back and tail feathers! Wow. I would normally assume some black would pattern in? I guess this is the fun part of these cute little birds! It is kind of a guessing game!

Back
Top Bottom