Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
Though not new to chickens nor Cochins, I am new to bantam Cochins and the MF & calico colorings. He looks very nice, with good MF patterning in front as far as I can tell. His chest needs to round out some as it still looks less full than optimal, but he is only six months old you said, right? His fuller/complete rooster coloration should also fill in over the next few months. I am surprised at how much red he has on his back and tail feathers! Wow. I would normally assume some black would pattern in? I guess this is the fun part of these cute little birds! It is kind of a guessing game!

Yes, I guess he is a late bloomer, which is OK. I hatched him the January 27, so he is coming 7 months old. he always made me think he was a hen....but every day he gets more masculine. Plus he also gets more red in the comb. Here is a pic of his back, lot of red and little black. I am hoping like you said that he will develop more and also get more color in the months to come. He is a peaceable fellow and I enjoy him being around.
Thanks for the input.

Some of our calico Cochin babies under strict supervision of one of their moms and one of our big roos. First time hatching Cochins and I love them. Adorable! (D'uccle, polish, sizzles in there too)
smile.png

Are some of those my babies?? They're so Big already!!
Pretty flock
big_smile.png

Are some of those my babies?? They're so Big already!!
Pretty flock :D

Yes! Most of those are yours! See why I want more?! They are turning out to be really beautiful. I meant to send you pictures too. I would totally love the chance to get more like my white cockerel. They crack me up. Brave little puff balls. And super healthy!

i hatched out 3 girls and 1 boy in mid april, I cought the little roo mating already with the girls, there still so little, is anyone elses banty cochins doing this so soon, the girls faces are really red too like there going to lay soon,

Boys are ready long before the girls. I have some boys in wire hanging cages and if they see a girls they will try to mate each other or the bottom of the cage. Boys are boys!

Yes! Most of those are yours! See why I want more?! They are turning out to be really beautiful. I meant to send you pictures too. I would totally love the chance to get more like my white cockerel. They crack me up. Brave little puff balls. And super healthy!

So glad to hear it
clap.gif

Would love any feedback on this little guy...

His buff and black have been slow to come in but little by little his pattern is changing. He is 11 weeks in this photo. Is it normal for the "Calicos" to start with a white base and gradually show the pattern develop. I hatched this chick in the incubator and I don't have any experience with this color variety.

Back
Top Bottom