Calico Cochin Thread

So pretty!
love.gif

Thank you
smile.png
He is one of my favorite cockerels and best breeding prospect at this time. The hatch he came out of was 76% roos and the pullets, unfortunately, aren't looking like they're going to make the cut for my breeding program soooo lol I'm "window shopping" for prospects.

HI! I would like to breed for my own line of calico cochins! I have mille Fluers, but no calico cochins. how do i go about creating my own line without having a calico already!
lets say I breed a Mille Roo to a White Cochin hen, the breed back the chick to one of the parents to get the mottling! would that work? to start anyway, then go from there? just curious!

I meant I only Have mille Fleur D'Uccle Roo and Giant white cochin hens! Would this work as a starter?

Breeding in a bantam white Cochin won't help as they are recessive. You will just get dark Mille Fleurs unless you can find a dominant white breeder.
Breed in your lightest yellow Mille Fleurs and you will be able to work your way toward calicos and you can use a hysterical Mottled to help the cause. But be patient because it will take you a while. And I do mean a long while! this is not a project for 2 years. And don;t forget to keep the type there as you work on color.
Most of the chicks shown on this thread will grow up darker than what they look like as kids. After the first mature molt the roos will be much darker. The hens may stay light or even get lighter but roos darken.
Do not consider yourself to have calicos unless they are over a year old and look calico.

This was a true working calico roo that I could have used. He was pure MF breeding but a fluke. Unfortunately, he did not develop a socket on his pelvis and was lame so I put him down.

There are many great starts to the calicos out there but beware if you buy them as chicks since you may get some off colored or just bad patterned MFC as they mature. And if you buy eggs make sure the parents you see are over a year old in photos or person before you decide they are calicos.

I look forward to watching this thread and see what everyone has or produces.

So what would happen if i breed a Mille Fluer D'Uccle Roo to My giant white cochin hen. where would i go from there?

I can't advise you on that as I think it would take years and years to get the d'Uccle beard, muffs, tail and shape out of the birds. It woudl be a long stretch and there are other directions you can go with Cochins to obtain a calico faster.
You should be able to find a hysterical mottled bantam Cochin to work with better and still have that great type in there. Breed that to a washed out buff Columbian and you are well on your way.

I am so happy that someone has started this thread! I have several Calico chicks hatched out already this month and an incubator full right now. I am getting some very nice type with lots of white which will hopefully get darker colors in later as they mature. This seems to be the development process from previous chicks~
Amy~ I'd love to see more of your Calicos!!

I am so happy that someone has started this thread! I have several Calico chicks hatched out already this month and an incubator full right now. I am getting some very nice type with lots of white which will hopefully get darker colors in later as they mature. This seems to be the development process from previous chicks~
Amy~ I'd love to see more of your Calicos!!

I don't have many that are in my program. Most of my breeding pens are full of the MFC project and the few calicos I have all work in one way or another in some of those pens so I seldom produce more calicos. I love them and want more of them but right now 7 (working on setting up #8) breeding pens of MFC are keeping me busy. I just haven't the time to care for 2 calico pens right now.

My buff Mottled project got put on hold, too as I found how well they can produce with some of my MFCs. If I had more time and energy, not to mention money, then I could certainly get all these breeding pens going. Space is not an issue here but there is only so much of me to go around. Unfortunately, kids now a days do not want to apprentice to learn more and I can't afford to pay anyone to help out.

Back
Top Bottom