Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
I think they come in standard too, but not positive. my cochins are all are bantam.

not the greatest pic, but it's what i could catch today...

Are these bantam only or is there any large fowl?

No LF Mille Fleur or Calico Cochins yet because Mille Fleur is based on Black Mottled and Buff Columbian but there are no (that I know of) Buff Columbian LF Cochins.
A huge Mille Fleur would be a beautiful sight though!

Yeah, I would like to cross my whites with my MF again this year. I get some interesting birds from the crosses.
My whites have plenty of type but setting enough eggs to get some decent white to come out since they are recessive can be a challenge.

The roo below has a nice big butt but I still haven't gotten anything decent to keep from crossing him and some MF girls.

I will probably try the roo below, Dude, to a white hen since he has now filled out so nicely. this is a photo of him as a kid and he was still developing. Right now I hatching from him crossed with my buff Mottleds but they will soon go broody so i will try him with a few white hens like he is shown with. I do not expect this cross to throw anything except type. Color and pattern will come later in another 3 generations or so.

WOW! Amy, she is beautiful.

Thanks, Charlie. You know I love a typy bantam Cochin. I may not show mine but enjoy it when others purchase from me and take them on to show and win. I will eventually take the MF out to be shown myself to help promote the variety. But I have a long way to go to get them nice enough to enter and do well. I want folks to stop and stare when I enter one and ask all about them to generate more interest in them.

Here is the above roo now that he is older. He is in with very light hens from my buff Mottled project for now. Can't wait to see the chicks grown from this cross. He is a product of hens that are MF/Mottled crossed back to a MF/buff Columbian roo. His baby pictures do not show his potential and he is still maturing.

You can't really see his head here but you can see how wide his rear end is. I think he is okay but he isn't as fabulous as some I have going. I just like trying different crosses. His chicks are hatching out yellow from these girls.

Here is the above roo now that he is older. He is in with very light hens from my buff Mottled project for now. Can't wait to see the chicks grown from this cross. He is a product of hens that are MF/Mottled crossed back to a MF/buff Columbian roo. His baby pictures do not show his potential and he is still maturing.

You can't really see his head here but you can see how wide his rear end is. I think he is okay but he isn't as fabulous as some I have going. I just like trying different crosses. His chicks are hatching out yellow from these girls.

love.gif

No LF Mille Fleur or Calico Cochins yet because Mille Fleur is based on Black Mottled and Buff Columbian but there are no (that I know of) Buff Columbian LF Cochins.
A huge Mille Fleur would be a beautiful sight though!
Thanks for the answer. I didn't think they were large fowl yet.
Just wondering if a Buff Brahma and a Black Mottled Cochin crossed together would work?
Wouldn't have room to work an that type of project though.

Quote:
I thought you might appreciate seeing how they develop, Lynne.
This is still carrying the dark from the Mottleds even though his mom is only half Mottled and half MF. His dad being MF and buff Columbian and my foundation roo, Fred. But you see how that Mottled hangs on? So I put him back to all these buff girls and am getting a lot of yellow chicks.
I am still working on that darn type and need better wings on my roos but it is a long process, as you know all too well.
This fella is nice and I will probably only use him this one season and then sell him. He can add a bit to the program but he isn't one to stay like my other boys.

Still waiting to see how your Mottleds are growing! However, I know it is busy season, too. I am working a lot and getting little sleep. LOL Such is spring!

I was wondering about eye color; I know that SOP is chestnut brown, all my Calicos have light green eyes. What are my options to correct this? I am getting excellent type and beaustiful color in my chicks and personally I love the green eyes but fear others will think of this as a negative opinion in choosing the Calicos~

Back
Top Bottom