Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
I'm thinking I need to sell all my other chickens and just go stick to raising the mille/calico cochins. Cochins are by far my favorite and MF/calico are my favorites of the cochin colors but I just hadn't narrowed it down to only keeping them but I think I just need to take the plunge and sell the rest and focus more on these guys because I just love how different each one can be.

Keep the pictures coming folks!
I agree! I'd love to see more pictures of everyone's birds too
yippiechickie.gif

Ivan does have a gorgeous chest
lol.png
I'll try to get some more good pictures of him to show you. He's got such a lovely combo of gold and black and white.
Inky has thrown some gorgeous chicks, out of 11 there were 2 born black. The pullet looks like she'll be more mottled then Inky and have the red hackles, the little cockerel is just pretty, and getting prettier every day.
And you should see some of her other chicks! Gorgeous, every one, and such a lovely variety. Gotta get out there and take more pictures
wink.png

Wow! Nancy, you have some cuties growing up!
Isn't it amazing how dark Inky is and she throws these really nice colors on the chicks??? And it doesn't seem to matter which roo either.

Wizard is a Columbian looking boy that carries MF but look at how pretty that boy is! Though you can still some Columbian peeking out of those feathers. I woudl love to see a photo of his chest. It looks like he has some really nice coloring there, too.
But look at that Darcy! OMG!
I can't wait to see them when they are more mature. Looks like they are going to be lovely but I am a teeny bit partial.

AND....
Thank you, thank you!
Once again proving that just because the birds are black with some red leakage and are MF/Mottled that they can throw MF. I am so glad to see these photos for so many reasons. The testimonials from you all really help prove a point and educate others on how to obtain some really good color and type.

Oh, Nancy, you really should show us more of what you are getting growing up now. It is so inspiring and don;t forget to show a bit along the parents of them so everyone can understand what they may get from breeding these colors together.

Not sure if everyone remembers Belvedere that I had on here. Wholewheatchicken bought him. Here he is as a baby .........

And then when he was grown......

And here is the last egg I set from him and a MF/Mottled hen before I sold him. I was told by someone that I could not get MF out of this cross. I suppose the proof is in the pudding. This little boy hatched out looking like a Mottled chick. But look at him now! (And forgive his anger at being snatched from his grassy pen to be put this way and that for photos. LOL)

And here are some of my young girls growing up that I plan to put him with. Maybe. I have to see how the type and other characteristics line up when breeding time comes.

Yes, that is an egg in front. Some have started to lay but haven't figured out the nest box yet. They think it is a bed and toilet. I do not hatch pullet eggs anyhow. They have to lay about 2-3 months before I start hatching from them, if even then.

Here are 2 baby boys that I am going to watch as they mature. These are by no means all of my birds, only ones I have time to put photos up of right now. I have lots of photos of lots of birds growing up but this is one folder I opened and thought I would share.

And my MF Frizzle pen with Shazam over some light hens. I will change him to some other MF later and probably some MF/Mottled girls, too. Then I will use some blue hens and some....oh, well, you get the idea!

And now I gotta go out and feed and water all these hungry critters. Hope you enjoyed the photos. I can put more up later.

In this pen I have a few birds that need to be moved out to a grassy pen. They have stayed up long enough and need to be out so maybe in the next day or so. They were what I considered runts of the hatches and got placed together to grow up. I have a black Mottled Frizzle as well as a buff/blue Frizzle in this pen along with some Mottleds and MF and some others like SLW.

I thought this Frizzle Mottled turned out nice. My own breeding and work made this lovely girl. I will be using her in my MF Frizzle breeding program next spring.

The first roo I will cross her with this fall will be this and I know this is way off subject here. Just giving some insight into how my breeding programs expand and how the bantam Cochins get way out of control for me.

well, this is what i'm getting...

here are the parents (the roo was only 4 months in the photo)
5Y35Z25F43I63m13o3c752573436d2b4717ff.jpg

and blue partridge split mille, from Mandy

here's the chicks i'm getting...
5I55L95G83E23Mb3odc759f347b75b55618bc.jpg

I know it! I love all of these pictures! Amy I think you should post pictures every day
lol.png
I will never get enough of them.
Karen I LOVE that roo of yours! I'd really like to see current pics of him. Your chicks are adorable, I especially love the top left one.

OK, I can't post any new pictures of Inky, because she's being broody
wink.png
but here's Ruby Rod

His comb is battered because he keeps trying to fight my buff-barred rooster for his hens through the wire.

Last edited:
OK, the 2 black chicks, Dinner (I've always thought "Dinner" was a cute name for a chicken
lol.png
) & OBO. Sorry there are so many pictures of Dinner... while I was taking them I'd tell him how pretty he is, and he'd stop and preen! and then pose again ~ Gotta love this boy.

Last edited:
Some of the other chicks
Loula
Sunshine Roo... and another chick Darcy, (Prince) Sunshine
Rainbow Rooclockwise from top; Darcy, Chipper, Loula and of course Bluebell, who is not Inky's chick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom