Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
I'd be cool with that. lol. But they're still in with my other cochins at the moment. We're working on getting pens rearranged so my cochins can be seperated by color.

I am breeding black to black and got a nice surprise of a blue mottled pullet and roo this spring~ I'm guessing my roo I bought has some blue in his genetics somewhere~
are both parents TRULY black? it's possible they both carried self blue and mottled and you got lucky. 8) that looks like self blue (and the genetics would follow) more than blue, since there's no lacing visible on the blue feathers. pair them up and if you don't get any black or splash, yup. they're self blue. if you don't want em, send em packing my way. 8)

are both parents TRULY black? it's possible they both carried self blue and mottled and you got lucky. 8) that looks like self blue (and the genetics would follow) more than blue, since there's no lacing visible on the blue feathers. pair them up and if you don't get any black or splash, yup. they're self blue. if you don't want em, send em packing my way. 8)
I was thinking the blue was coming from the Roo I have in my mottled pen but then I got to thinking; I had a blue pair in the pen for a while last year, my hens are last years babies so...possibly one of my hens is carrying the blue. I got this little pullet and a baby roo this spring and had stopped hatching any more mottled. Think I might just start back up again!

Wizard~ Daddy to this blue mottled pullet

The blue mottled hen in the background is possibly a grandmother and the roo a grandfather. Too bad I sold them!

pullet as a chick with her sister

Blue mottled pair in with black mottled hens

The 3 hens that this blue pullet came from: ??? Violet, Posey and Pansey. Violet & Pansy are almost identical

I was thinking the blue was coming from the Roo I have in my mottled pen but then I got to thinking; I had a blue pair in the pen for a while last year, my hens are last years babies so...possibly one of my hens is carrying the blue. I got this little pullet and a baby roo this spring and had stopped hatching any more mottled. Think I might just start back up again!
the only problem with that theory, is blue is dominant, not recessive like self blue. so in order for blue to be passed along, one parent would HAVE to BE blue... and blue has a darker edge to the feather, while self blue is a nice even solid color.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom