Calico Cochin Thread

Pics
I don't have a pen of calicos going right now. I have my MF Frizzle roo in with everything that looked Calico.
I am watching some new roos growing up and hope to have a breeding pen of nice calicos next spring. All I have are MFs in breeding.

I just looked at your pics of cochins. What all colors do you have? I would love to do a small order or however many you can once they start laying in the calicos.
i only have 2 pens of cochins right now, black/self blue and my calico/mille fleurs. the hens in that pen are actually blue partridge, but i have yet to get a partridge from them. and the chicks are less than a week old, so it'll be a bit before i take the chicks away and put the roo back in. maybe a month or so.

Well I have finally gotten rid of all the extra random chickens I had hanging around taking up space and eatin feed. Yay!

So I have now been able to to seperate my cochins by color.

Pen #1: 2 Mille Fleur Roosters, 1 Calico hen, 1 Mille Fleur hen, 1 too dark mille fleur hen, 1 black mottled hen, 1 dark brown hen w/gold penciling (?) on breast

Pen #2: 1 splash rooster, 1 splash hen, 1 black hen. (I have one more splash hen but she's sick)

I also have a barred rooster that isn't correctly colored but is way to pretty to get rid of. I plan on making a barred cochin pen as soon as my only two little pullets are older.

So I should be getting more Mille Fleur/Calico babies soon <3

Ask and ye shall receive, Mike!
lol.png

Inky hatched a Silkie chick from shipped eggs and a Cochin chick that one of my other hens deposited into her nest while she was setting.

Meanwhile, I gave Candy some of their own eggs I'd been saving.. today was hatch day and she had 6 out at last count! I can't wait until tomorrow to see what the final # is.

All I can say is...
love.gif
Just precious~

Amy~ I have been so blown away with the babies I have been getting. I have been soooo lucky with my Calico project
smile.png

As far as the blue mottled, I never cared much for them but the little pullet is just so pretty. I'm keeping her as a pet if anything! I'm going to try to pinpoint which hen she came out of and see if I can't produce more~
The two Calico girls of Monet's that I bought from you this Spring sure have plenty of foot feathers - and type to burn - although I'm no expert. Both Jasmine and Nigella - the self-blue - started laying at 6 months - two full months earlier than the previous pullet I got from you, and they are laying like clockwork. The second calico had a stroke (I'm pretty sure) and could not move one leg, stand, or walk for about two months. She was determined to get better though, and is now back to nearly perfect. I'm SO glad she made it!! Seraphina is the sweetest of the three, and so pretty. She hasn't laid any eggs, and after her setback, she might not ever, but she - and all of the three - are wonderful pets. I'll try to get some photos to let you see what they look like all grown up.

The two Calico girls of Monet's that I bought from you this Spring sure have plenty of foot feathers - and type to burn - although I'm no expert. Both Jasmine and Nigella - the self-blue - started laying at 6 months - two full months earlier than the previous pullet I got from you, and they are laying like clockwork. The second calico had a stroke (I'm pretty sure) and could not move one leg, stand, or walk for about two months. She was determined to get better though, and is now back to nearly perfect. I'm SO glad she made it!! Seraphina is the sweetest of the three, and so pretty. She hasn't laid any eggs, and after her setback, she might not ever, but she - and all of the three - are wonderful pets. I'll try to get some photos to let you see what they look like all grown up.
I can't wait to see pictures~ I'm so happy they are with you Deb~
Everyone in the Calico pen is molting right now so no eggs. Concentrating on developing my lemon blues and brown reds and someone in the mottled pen is starting back up again, can we say HatchOholic??? lol

Anyone from Ohio near Marysville? Daughter lost her precious calico to a hawk. Was her best friend and 4-H project. She was crushed!! Such a sweet girl our little Fluff Nugget. Would like to find another soon. Thanks

Anyone from Ohio near Marysville? Daughter lost her precious calico to a hawk. Was her best friend and 4-H project. She was crushed!! Such a sweet girl our little Fluff Nugget. Would like to find another soon. Thanks

Oh no, so sorry to hear that
sad.png
I am too far - out in California - but hopefully someone closer can help to find a new little friend for your daughter.

Back
Top Bottom