California Central Coast unite!

Backyard Hencam

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
Not Southern California, not Northern California, we've got the best of two worlds. The California Central Coast ranges from beautiful Monterey to Santa Barbara and areas inland. We want chicken lovers and residents of this area to speak up and be counted. We have wine country, farms, ocean vistas, rolling oak-studded hills, a University or two, and yes, even a castle. We surf, garden, work here, and retire here.
cool.png

I've lived in the S.F. North Bay and Orange County, but have found paradise on the Central Coast half-way between the two. Tell us what you love about "living between the North and South. Tell us why you love it and how chickens play a part in your daily lives. Join our thread and tell us about yourselves!
celebrate.gif

I never thought I'd stoop so low as to "bump" my own post. I sure thought there'd be some Central Coast folks that would feel as I do. We do not seem to fit the Northern California profile, nor do we feel like Southern California residents. So here's hoping my Central Coast post doesn't die a slow..........death.
fl.gif

Ohh Ohh me me!!!! lol I am a central coast girl born and raised. Iv gone all over California to "get away" from my home town of Santa Maria but always wind up right back where I started. I enjoy hiking up to our fall's, walking the pier (not the beach...that's for kid's and beach bunny's I prefer to leave the sand at the beach lol) Can't ever get over the smell here, it's a touch of ocean, with ripe strawberry's and fertile soil. We have AMAZING weather, slightly breezy but for the most part, never too cold never too hot. We rarely get into the 90's and rarely go below 50. I agree most people try to stick us in either north or south... it's frustrating... WE ARE CENTRAL and COASTAL lol. I adore the rolling hill side's that are currently in full bloom unlike any other year in recent history due to our unusual rainfall. And where else can you get the strawberry festival, Santa Barbara shopping, AMAZING Montecito, San Luis Obispo get away opportunity's, a day at the Beach within 15 minutes away, and no crowding no hassle from tourist's. Santa Maria is the perfect in between for a quiet life style AND perfect location for the best of both world's. While I do plan on leaving this state for the opportunity to own our own home and land, my heart will always be here. Glad to see I'm not the only one here on the central coast that is into the chicken keeping (obsession?, disorder?) hobby
wink.png

I love the weather in Paso Robles like the heat of the days and the cool of the nights. Close enough to the beach to get away from real summer heat if I feel the need...I spend most of my time riding my horses just got back into raising poultry and enjoying all my chicks looking for meat and eggs without worrying what they were fed. Totally into heritage breeds and love the dark egg breeds too. Going to raise a few turkeys too. Have a large garden that manages to feed my husband and I along with several neighbors. It looks like my chickens and turkeys will have plenty to snack on this year I have lots of grass and bugs. Hopefully I can sell my eggs to help pay for feed and I will have pullets to sell as I will be raising chicks. Time will tell how I do but right now I'm having fun and the birds are very entertaining.

Now we're talkin! The chickens along the central coast are the luckiest in the world. No snow, a few weeks of wet weather a year (if we are lucky), rarely hot for any length of time (oh, I forgot about Paso Robles at County Fair time!) It can sometimes get a little warm. But just enough to ripen some of the finest zinfandel grapes for wine in the world. Remember the movie "Sideways"? That is southern part of our wine country which ranges from Santa Barbara to Salinas. Whoa, I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom