California - Northern

I moved the CLxCpennes to the hutch this morning from the short brooder. Oh, yes I should not forget the Blue Barnies x OEs! They are 3 weeks old and won't stay in that short thing. I am going to change that soon...

th
They are crazy speedy things! The Barnies are more normal but those CLxCP really zip and boy can they fly! The big old 12 week cockerels that were in there did not even jump out of it. These little guys flew right out. I had to chase 2 of them around the garage and catch them before they got behind the freezer!

I might need a nap later...

Last edited:
My neighbor got run all over their property this spring. He was going to show the fox who was boss. The fox kept him out back running all over the place taunting him. Neighbor gave up the chase and the fox went and sat on a mound behind the deck, I'm guessing the fox was making his point.

We have watched a few litters grow up in the "jungle' on the other side of our road. Adorable watching the kits play.

The last 4 days i have been down with a bad cold. i went to tractor supply in auburn before i got sick and hubby put p. gravel in the owls and put them on the roof of our barn. and i ordered something else to keep the racoons away. a solar box with red light. see if it works. I havent been outside to see how they are doing, i hope the one sister is ok. and he is building me a huge chicken coop. this one has everything except the kitchen sink, LOL. have no ida where i am going to put it. he is having fun building them for me now. and for something strange, the day after christmas there were 16 goats in the empty field across the street from us. so i put it on my local FB page anyone missing goats, contract me, etc.. so evening time no one out looking or calling about missing goats. we were able to herd them in our pasture so they do not become food that night. as of today they are still in our pasture i am buying food for them. our goats are tame and go to the neighbors to and dont get out. these are wild and cant let them go next door. 16 new goats in my pasture and i have no idea where they came from. they are adjusting just fine to their tempt home.

fl.gif
I hope that keeps them away! I have read that you need several of the LED eyes aiming in different directions to keep them away.

My Middle DD has an Elk Hound that she needs to rehome.

I don't want to kill them, just exclude them. Let them know they actually need to work for food. A couple days ago I saw the bobcat run off with a something big and black.....

The worst case was when it crossed the road with a white cat in its mouth.... must have been deaf/blind.
I hope you didn't think I was implying you wanted to kill them
hmm.png
I was just putting out my own thoughts about Bobcats and the wildlife on our property in general. I am a big softy when it comes to animals
lol.png
It is gruesome that Bobcats, Mountain Lions and Coyotes all prey on and eat domestic cats
sickbyc.gif

I moved the CLxCpennes to the hutch this morning from the short brooder. Oh, yes I should not forget the Blue Barnies x OEs! They are 3 weeks old and won't stay in that short thing. I am going to change that soon...

th
They are crazy speedy things! The Barnies are more normal but those CLxCP really zip and boy can they fly! The big old 12 week cockerels that were in there did not even jump out of it. These little guys flew right out. I had to chase 2 of them around the garage and catch them before they got behind the freezer!

now you know why i named by CLxCP Amelia...

Quote: I have 7 of them too! I hope the Barnies will calm them down. I am also going to handle them some each day. The Partridge Penne (she is something like 16 weeks old or so) is not too bad now. She hangs out with Leela the Basque hen and the 4 Dorking Crosses. At 16 weeks old, she is probably half way to that first egg too! Leghorns would be laying by now.....

My internet just finally started working today. I was starting to the think the Mayans were just off by a week!

OMG, I just hatched my first quail. I can't believe how tiny they are... So dang cute. I will take picture later when I open the hatchery.
Thanks Deb!
Happy New Years! 2013 is going h be a good year!
1f604.png

Congratulations on the quail Molly. We just finished moving around the last group we hatched. They won't be too many weeks away from starting to lay. With baby quail, you need to get them out of the hatcher sooner than you would with chicks. They can't go as long as baby chickens without food/water.

Deb

th

wee.gif
I can see you chasing them LOL

I have 7 of them too! I hope the Barnies will calm them down. I am also going to handle them some each day. The Partridge Penne (she is something like 16 weeks old or so) is not too bad now. She hangs out with Leela the Basque hen and the 4 Dorking Crosses. At 16 weeks old, she is probably half way to that first egg too! Leghorns would be laying by now.....
They are very food driven. Get a bag of meal worms and a stool and they will tame right down. From what I can tell. they are super smart birds and once they know you're a friend with food they become pests..

Back
Top Bottom