California - Northern

getting closer to egg! i let my flock out today (first time for the new roo, very exciting), and one of the cuckoo marans decided to go back in, and fluffed around in a nesting box for a while, and then sang a little song... but no egg. yet. i thought it would make a particularly auspicious start to the new year, to lay the first egg -- but they're close!

Quote:
Quote: They are smart! They were the first ones that figured out how to get back into the brooder and made it under the ecoglow when I turned off the lights. I really do like them.
getting closer to egg! i let my flock out today (first time for the new roo, very exciting), and one of the cuckoo marans decided to go back in, and fluffed around in a nesting box for a while, and then sang a little song... but no egg. yet. i thought it would make a particularly auspicious start to the new year, to lay the first egg -- but they're close!
Is the roo mating them? The first egg will be a week from that.

I took some action photos today of the three week old chicks. They are action shots because they do not stop much!

I will take them outside for some photos in a couple of weeks. I will give them some treats each day until then.

I moved the CLxCpennes to the hutch this morning from the short brooder. Oh, yes I should not forget the Blue Barnies x OEs! They are 3 weeks old and won't stay in that short thing. I am going to change that soon...

th
They are crazy speedy things! The Barnies are more normal but those CLxCP really zip and boy can they fly! The big old 12 week cockerels that were in there did not even jump out of it. These little guys flew right out. I had to chase 2 of them around the garage and catch them before they got behind the freezer!

I might need a nap later...
we need photos
OPPS just noticed pic's above this post
hide.gif

Last edited:
Is the roo mating them? The first egg will be a week from that.

yes, the roo Max is mating whoever will hold still -- I've seen him mate with the marans, the australorp, and one or both of the sussex girls -- and he's been dancing around for everyone, and offering treats, but the younger girls (and the silver pencils, who are older) don't show any interest yet. he's only been here for two days now, so still settling in...

but does the presence of a rooster affect when they start laying? wouldn't they start laying anyway, even if i'd never gotten him?

I plan on using the dog kennel over my coop in the chicken yard. Probably buy another one to put over my other one.
I will be using the solar red light idea as well.
Can some of you post pic's of the angled fence? I was going to use no climb for the chicken runs and no climb in the garden which the runs will be in.
Angled fence is what attaches to the posts of chain link fence correct? Then you run barbed wire? That may be to spendy for me.

I plan on using the dog kennel over my coop in the chicken yard. Probably buy another one to put over my other one.
I will be using the solar red light idea as well.
Can some of you post pic's of the angled fence? I was going to use no climb for the chicken runs and no climb in the garden which the runs will be in.
Angled fence is what attaches to the posts of chain link fence correct? Then you run barbed wire? That may be to spendy for me.

I don't think you need barbed wire. It is a visual thing--They are not that smart so the angled fence fools them.

With those penes I would not use barbed wire.. They are crazy flyers and jumpers!

Back
Top Bottom