California - Northern

Hi everyone!
frow.gif

Does anyone know of a butcher that will process ducks in or near the Bay Area? It's time for me to thin my Saxony flock, I have 4 or 5 ducks that I will need processed. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you all!

I think if you are going to use wire over the runs you can run a short length up those angles sticking out towards the outside, like the prison yards - only without barbed wire. That way your birds can't fly out, nothing can fly in and the cats cant climb in. I haven't used them - but that's how I imagine it...

My mom had her chicken pen fenced over the top and a bald eagle came diving down to get a chicken. She has low pens, probably about 4' high, he hit the wire and almost bent it to the chicken - but it slowed him just enough the chicken got out from under him. He then bounced off the wire and struggled around a bit - before getting his bearings and taking off again. He was one angry bird...
will look into it

I took some action photos today of the three week old chicks. They are action shots because they do not stop much!

I will take them outside for some photos in a couple of weeks. I will give them some treats each day until then.
The one on the feeder looks like a v. raptor. glad they are only pint sized. You can certainly see their dino heritage

My internet just finally started working today.  I was starting to the think the Mayans were just off by a week!

Congratulations on the quail Molly.  We just finished moving around the last group we hatched.  They won't be too many weeks away from starting to lay.  With baby quail, you need to get them out of the hatcher sooner than you would with chicks.  They can't go as long as baby chickens without food/water.

Deb

I'm glad you told me that. I moved them out of the hatcher last night :) I can't believe how small they are..

Hi everyone!
frow.gif

Does anyone know of a butcher that will process ducks in or near the Bay Area? It's time for me to thin my Saxony flock, I have 4 or 5 ducks that I will need processed. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you all!

Hi Jeremey!

The only one I know of is in Sacramento. I think they process Ducks.

It's a bit far for you though.

Hi Jeremey!

The only one I know of is in Sacramento. I think they process Ducks.

It's a bit far for you though.

I don't know if they process birds, but it's worth asking at Bud's Meats here in Penngrove (just north of Petaluma) -- i'm pretty sure they process other livestock like pigs and etc, as well as they MAY process things hunters bring in, so it seems like a good bet? i'll be interested to know what you find out, in case i end up with some extra chickens that need processing down the line?

Bud's Custom Meats
7750 Petaluma Hill Rd
Penngrove CA
(707) 795-8402
Open Monday-Saturday 8-5

Came across a thread today in Breeds, Genetics & Showing, "CSU".

Hoping to get some help training my eye on what to look for in the different breeds.
Might be interesting if they have more than one judge commenting. One judge I talked to looked for a "bowl shape" on wyandottes, the other looks for a "heart shape". I'm sure they are the same thing, just described differently.

Good Morning,
I just posted 4 of my silkies on CL this morning. But, if there is anyone on this thread that is interested or has a question, let me know. I would MUCH rather give my birds to people that know how to care for them (and will give them a great home) than to sell to strangers on CL!

They are all 3 months old and cockerels (95% sure). However, the black and one of the whites are looking super and are from SQ parents. I wish I could at least keep those 2 or home them someplace where I could get their offspring in the future. Both of the whites are nice, but one has a crooked toe so he probably won't be showable but would be BQ. He is the one in charge of this little flock. I could possibly deliver them to the right person on a mini-vacation or day-trip! I can keep them awhile longer and save them if someone is interested.
Here are some pictures to entice you....

And a baby picture...

Back
Top Bottom