California - Northern

Came across a thread today in Breeds, Genetics & Showing, "CSU".

Hoping to get some help training my eye on what to look for in the different breeds.

Me too! Looks like an interesting and informative thread. I know there should be at least one other judge- NYReds.

first egg!!!!

Woohoo to all the peeps with first eggs! Almost time for omelets.
big_smile.png

ronott1: I don't know who to order chicks from as I've never mail ordered chicks. I usually get them in person or hatch them myself. Any suggestions?
One option is to take culls(ones that don't make the cut for breeding) from one of the breeders on here.
So, I just joined BYC a while back,

welcome-byc.gif

This is a picture of my two Marans OEs form Chiqita:

Those almost look like my EE that I had, years ago. This was when I was crossing feral chickens with hatchery birds:

687 pages since i left!! I wonder if ill be able to read it all lol

Hi Everyone!! Happy New Year!!

Finally Im back from Ohio. Glad to be back!
It must have rained alot thé Ranch is à big puddle.
sad.png
But im Glad to be back from thé frigid 20 degrees and snow stormy weather.

How is Everyone?

Mike
I'm great! It's been warm, sunny and dry here. (Well, warmer than what winter should be).

I CANNOT believe that it is already 1/3/13. Ahhh! Entry forms need to be filled out, before I forget....
th.gif

welcome back, Mike!

and i've got a random feed question for those of you more experienced with this than I: between my local feedstores, i seem to have a choice between getting "all natural" (but not organic) soy free layer feed, or organic feed that does contain soy -- any sense of how to choose? i can't seem to find organic non-soy, and am not sure which is more "important"?

thanks!

I really feel like this is a personal decision, based on each families priorities. Many are willing to feed organic with soy over soy-free natural because the soy needs to be organic. They believe the organic soy cannot be GMO, when in reality, a sample must be tested to be a certain % non-GMO. I don't remember the exact %, but IIRC, it is somewhere in the 90's.

Our personal family decision has been to drive more than 2 hours away, at times, to get the feed that meets our needs.

Also, it looks like the K-1 route of Azure Standard goes though Sonoma Co. Not exactly sure where you are, but the route runs the length on Hwy 101 in your county.

Thank You for doing this!

Remind me about the fish meal and where you get it. capayvalleychick is interested in getting a bag of it. papabrooder comes down this way regularly and I go up there too, so we could figure out how to get it to her.

Bye,
I have a friend that can pick it up whenever she picks up her feed. I will see about getting more info from her. It is $70 per 50#.

I really feel like this is a personal decision, based on each families priorities. Many are willing to feed organic with soy over soy-free natural because the soy needs to be organic. They believe the organic soy cannot be GMO, when in reality, a sample must be tested to be a certain % non-GMO. I don't remember the exact %, but IIRC, it is somewhere in the 90's.

Our personal family decision has been to drive more than 2 hours away, at times, to get the feed that meets our needs.

Also, it looks like the K-1 route of Azure Standard goes though Sonoma Co. Not exactly sure where you are, but the route runs the length on Hwy 101 in your county.

I'm not sure what "the K-1 route of Azure Standard" means? (i'm still so new to this!) i've been getting feed at either Western Farm Center in Santa Rosa (which carries Hunt & Behrens organic feed, but not without soy), or Frizelle-Enos in Penngrove (which carries Bar-Ale non-soy all-natural) -- is there a way of getting feed not at a feed store?

thanks for your help! both Hunt & Behrens and Bar-Ale are relatively local, which i like, but would prefer to get organic non-soy if i can!

I'm not sure what "the K-1 route of Azure Standard" means? (i'm still so new to this!) i've been getting feed at either Western Farm Center in Santa Rosa (which carries Hunt & Behrens organic feed, but not without soy), or Frizelle-Enos in Penngrove (which carries Bar-Ale non-soy all-natural) -- is there a way of getting feed not at a feed store?

thanks for your help! both Hunt & Behrens and Bar-Ale are relatively local, which i like, but would prefer to get organic non-soy if i can!
Azure Standard is a company that sends a delivery truck along routes on a 4 week schedule. Maybe others near you might know better if there is an existing drop near you. You cwould have to meet a larger minimum purchase to order by yourself each month,but you don't have to order every month. They now have at least 4 different organic and soy-free (3 are corn-free, too) feeds.

If you are ordering with an existing drop, your individual order only needs to be $55 or more. If you have to set up a new drop, you have to meet a $550 minimum, but you will likely know other people who would benefit from shopping in this way. We order organic rice, beans, etc in bulk. I also get a good portion of our smaller groceries from them, including almost all of our body care items (toothpaste, deodorant, soap).

I am happy to help you, if you give me a better idea about where you are.

Last edited:
Hello all i see that some of you have hens that are laying eggs already is this normal for everyone ?

A relative has a few hens and none are lating yet is it the food or weather they are loose sknce he has a huge yard an feeds chicken scratch

Back
Top Bottom