California - Northern

barnie.gif
I hate when that happens! My Barred Rock has been our best winter layer too although she took several weeks off. I've been hanging onto the store bought egg cartons too in hopes that by spring I'll actually have enough extra eggs to sell. Here's what my basket of eggs looks like lately. I only get about 2 or 3 eggs per day so they add up unless we eat them everyday.
Eggs from Barred Rock, RIR, Welsummer and a Silkie.

I agree, it's got to be a girl..........how pretty!

I finally got a picture of Mysty Blues & Mr. Puff's baby chicks. They are so precious. I put them in a pink container this time -hoping for all girls.
fl.gif
It looks like 1 splash and 3 "light" blues!
celebrate.gif

So cute.... I just got a black silike roo from Calichick yesterday. I can't wait to have some silkie fluffy butts!

So cute.... I just got a black silike roo from Calichick yesterday. I can't wait to have some silkie fluffy butts!
Did you get to see him in person yet? What do you think of him? That little guy is still such a baby....he hasn't even tried to crow yet. I think his hatchmates miss him. I hope he gets along with your other silkies and becomes a great daddy.

WHEE! Just finished the book. Sorry I didn't see you guys going to try and find it. Its not supposed to be out, but walmart and target are not good at honoring that stuff, so search there. The more clueless the staff, the greater the likelihood. Otherwise it is everywhere Tues.

Its a tear jerker, I bawled for 14 hrs. Then sold chickens, then bawled some more. Did NOT predict who would not make it very well for sure.
Here he is as a baby...
Ya, I'd say dark blue with leakage. But I am no expert
thanks for the ID on this! the shell seems quite sturdy -- will probably crack it for tomorrow's breakfast, & will be interested to see if there are more (i've been out on the SF Bay sailing all day, thankfully the rain held off til we were back at the dock...)
I get them sporadically like that, but new girls go dark/light/med/who knows for the first few weeks then they settle in and get lighter and lighter.
AAAAAHHHHHH... FUZZY CUTENESS OVERLOAD
love.gif

What color makes that Egyptian eye makeup silky? That is just too cute!
Ill see if I can find a picture of eyeliner, Its on the my cloud pictures somewhere. She had very striking liner that stayed. A showgirl so it REALLY stood out.
The poke is a last ditch effort so waiting until tomorrow is fine.

Does the person you got them from have more available? I would like to try these.

I am crazy for challenges like hatching these!
crazy.gif
Insane person.
We got our first eggs 2 days ago!! but... we didn't get any eggs today or yesterday. The chickens free range during the day and we found the eggs under a board that was leaning up against the back of our house. There were 7 eggs there. Do you think they got mad that I took the eggs and moved their laying spot? And why in the leaves and not the coop/laying boxes?
If they will not lay in the coop, lock them in and let them out only after they lay for a few days, it gets my girls laying back in the right place again, usualy takes 2-3 days. They start laying in random places every few months to torment me.
Has anyone tried using rice hulls instead of pine shavings? I deal with a woman who insists that wood shavings bring lice into her flock and swears by rice hulls. I've never had lice/mite problems. In order to prevent problems I offer her my birds for inspection - she's never found anything - but it still annoys me. She claims that the rice hulls are easy clean like cat litter. I just have a problem with the bag size.
I have always heard mites come from wild birds. I know the ones I ahve that get mites are under the tree that has a ton of birds sitting in it. And of course my silkies don't like to dust bath much, so I get to do it for them once a month, fun fun.
random question # 8,435,725: how long do you leave fake eggs in the nestboxes, once the girls have started laying?

and (belatedly) welcome, lualshannon!!
I leave some in. Most but not all of my girls like to see proof its a good box before they will put out.

WHEE! Just finished the book. Sorry I didn't see you guys going to try and find it. Its not supposed to be out, but walmart and target are not good at honoring that stuff, so search there. The more clueless the staff, the greater the likelihood. Otherwise it is everywhere Tues.

Its a tear jerker, I bawled for 14 hrs. Then sold chickens, then bawled some more. Did NOT predict who would not make it very well for sure.

I figured that the Book was not widely available in stores. I ordered it and it should be here soon.

lau.gif

Yes, I am a crazy hatcher! I love a challenge like this, especially when the word out there is that shipped ones won't hatch. Since Jason had a Pip and was so close(infuriating!) to getting one hatched, I am very curious to see what the new incubator(whichever one I get) can do. Mycutecitties said she got tired of bad hatches on shipped eggs, so she bought a Sportsman incubator and has great hatches with shipped eggs.

We will see....

Last edited:
Quote: I figured that the Book was not widely available in stores. I ordered it and it should be here soon.

lau.gif

Yes, I am a crazy hatcher! I love a challenge like this, especially when the word out there is that shipped ones won't hatch. Since Jason had a Pip and was so close(infuriating!) to getting one hatched, I am very curious to see what the new incubator(whichever one I get) can do. Mycutecitties said she got tired of bad hatches on shipped eggs, so she bought a Sportsman incubator and has great hatches with shipped eggs.

We will see....

Yeah, the ones I tried for Jason, I got three made it to the end, one with an internal pip and the third pipped externally. I watched it's little beak protrude all day, but it never made a sound and just didn't make it out of the shell
sad.png
All three looked like nice big, healthy chicks, just not alive...

Deb

LOL- We had to buy store bought eggs for several weeks when the girls slowed down and we needed extra eggs for Thanksgiving and Christmas baking....My 11 year old son feels the same way-YUCK and won't eat them.
sickbyc.gif

Thank you, we are all loving them (even my DH who isn't chicken crazy like me.) I noticed those "stripes" also and just don't know what to make of them. They are ever so faint, but I see them and am scratching my head. The daddy is a splash from a breeder's BBS pen (which I hatched) and the momma is a dark blue from a breeder's Blue/Black pen (which I also hatched)..........so I don't know? I'll sure be keeping an eye on them as they feather out.
I did get a blue partridge from a bbs hatching egg. She is the girl posing in my avatar. She is a hatchmate of the splash daddy but could have completely different parents as the breeder has several roosters and many hens in her bbs breeding pens. I'll keep you posted on their growth if you are interested.
smile.png

Yes please, I have just fallen in love with blue partridge Silkies. I have two blue girls and a half-bred silkie girl - and I will be getting a partridge boy at the Stockton show - so I would love to see "growing up" pictures of your chicks .. of all of them.. I also love their "bad hair" month between chick feathers and first molt - way too funny!

Here is Blue in her bad hair month - with her bratty bunch..

Oh, I would love to see your Easter egg ornaments when you finish them. When my pullets first started laying, I had given this sweet older lady at church several of their eggs. The next week I asked her how they tasted. She looked bashful and said she blew out the shells so she could save them they were so cute. Maybe she didn't know she could eat the yolk too!

Well.. here they are so far... with my egg "basket" I collected today. I had to wash them all - because of muddy footed hens..

I love having 20 - 10 month old pullets laying on and off, I didn't run out of eggs this winter and had some to sell too! I am going to be overrun when they all start laying though!

I didn't get very far on the Easter tree eggs because today turned into a baking day when I couldn't find any of my gluten-free bread in my freezer. So instead of hunting down the Easter egg coloring kits and the crayons I made herbed muffins and lemon bars.. perfect day for baking!

Well.. here they are so far... with my egg "basket" I collected today. I had to wash them all - because of muddy footed hens..

I love having 20 - 10 month old pullets laying on and off, I didn't run out of eggs this winter and had some to sell too! I am going to be overrun when they all start laying though!

I didn't get very far on the Easter tree eggs because today turned into a baking day when I couldn't find any of my gluten-free bread in my freezer. So instead of hunting down the Easter egg coloring kits and the crayons I made herbed muffins and lemon bars.. perfect day for baking!
Love the green eggs!

Back
Top Bottom