California - Northern

I found a old screen type thing we bought to make a screened in porch back in the day . We are useing it to make a coop in the space under the house ( not really a basement, more of a workshop but not quite 8 ft tall) so we can lock everyone in and go away and not worry. But now I'm thinking it might be a good winter coop, too. it has lights and does not freeze. we put the roosters in there right now so they are quieter in the morning they just hop in and out via the window. Mario is becoming unenthuastic about loosing this much work space in his office thinge, however, so we will see if it goes or not, lol.

I am very excited!

While I was typing this, I got fireflys necropsy in ( she was also a he! sneaky silkies) they said it was a very interesting case, she had a tumor, either cancer, very unusual in a young bird, or well, here is the finding

"This is an interesting case. There was a large intracoelomic soft tissue mass expanding the left thoracoabdominal air sac, and
displacing/compressing the adjacent organs (left liver lobe, heart, left lung). The mass was firmly attached to the left parietal
pleura and ribcage, but had no anatomical connection with other main internal organs. At this stage I am uncertain on whether
this represents a weird presentation of granulomatous disease (ie chronic localized fungal airsacculitis) or a neoplasia (cancer).
Neoplasia would be very unusual in such a young bird, however congenital neoplasms occur very rarely in many animal species."

If it is fungal, do I have to worry, or does this give my other little silkie a clean bill of health? I can never really read these reports. It looks like the bird had stopped eating, but from the mass not me, so I feel like less of a bird killer. I had nightmares about finding animals I had forgotten to feed almost every night since I found her. I get guilty easily. I had a snake once that would never eat and was very tiny. I ad to give her away because I would get so upset when she didn't eat. Still have dreams about that too. Can I blame eating too much on that?? haha.
I like the idea of a coop in the basement area - as long as the chicken dust/dander can't get into the air in your house. Its really messy.... and not good to breathe for long...

Hmm.. well the way I read that report - it was either an inherited type of early cancer - or a very unusual attachment of a fungal disease in the air sack? I would wait for the final result too - if its cancer you are probably clean as they didn't say it was Marak's - and if its fungal I would see what they recommend for fungal treatment and if it can be spread through the air ...

Ah - I see further information - its probably inherited, very rare - so sounds good - no panic!

Last edited:
I got an egg today!!! I'm so excited!!!
wee.gif
My girls haven't laid an egg in over 2 months! Now if I can figure out who laid it! It is a blue/green color (online auction color chart 0ac158) . It is pullet sized and a different color than my 3 yr old EE has ever laid. It is also a different color than my Cream Legbar laid before stopping for the winter. I do have 2 Lavendar Ameraucana's so it is possible that one of them laid it. Oh, the mystery of it all!

Well, if its fungal I don't think they got it here, she died too quickly (ok he) . I googled all the things they mentioned and nothing is contagious, so hopefully the 2 extra chickens can get out of the pokey in a few more days.

Hey, the only ivermectin I could find was for cattle. It looks like the same thing, but perhaps different % of active parts ( this says 5 mg per mL)

This says to use 1 mL per 22 lbs of animal weight. Does anyone know if the pig ones says the same? If no one has doseages for this i guess I have to convert. Next to figure out how many drops in a mL....

This type of stuff is not my strong suit.

I got an egg today!!! I'm so excited!!!
wee.gif
My girls haven't laid an egg in over 2 months! Now if I can figure out who laid it! It is a blue/green color (online auction color chart 0ac158) . It is pullet sized and a different color than my 3 yr old EE has ever laid. It is also a different color than my Cream Legbar laid before stopping for the winter. I do have 2 Lavendar Ameraucana's so it is possible that one of them laid it. Oh, the mystery of it all!

That shape reminds me of a pullet egg. My silkies lay pointy eggs like that often, however, too.

Well, if its fungal I don't think they got it here, she died too quickly (ok he) . I googled all the things they mentioned and nothing is contagious, so hopefully the 2 extra chickens can get out of the pokey in a few more days.

Hey, the only ivermectin I could find was for cattle. It looks like the same thing, but perhaps different % of active parts ( this says 5 mg per mL)

This says to use 1 mL per 22 lbs of animal weight. Does anyone know if the pig ones says the same? If no one has doseages for this i guess I have to convert. Next to figure out how many drops in a mL....

This type of stuff is not my strong suit.
I will look it up for you.

Quote: De-worming Methods using 1% injectable cattle ivermectin:
Birds up to 6 months old get 1/4 cc of ivermectin in the mouth. I want to be sure they get a
good dose since they are the most susceptible to parasites and internal parasite damage.
Grown birds are treated with 1cc of ivermectin per quart of water for 2 days. Mix a fresh
batch as needed each day. Birds drink what water they need according to size so I don't
worry about them over dosing. Over dosing isn't really a problem though for it takes a lot
of ivermectin to cause a problem. A friend did a test on a bantam rooster by giving the
bird 5 cc of ivermectin straight from the bottle. The bird was droopy a day or two, but
snapped right back and live another 6 or so years. If you want to find out more about
ivermectin you can find lots of information about it on the web. I have even called the
Merial and talked to a vet or two there.

Give them either the 1/4 cc by mouth or put 4ccs per gallon in water for two days. Repeat in 10 to 14 days.

Last edited:
I bought 30 eggs from them a year ago and they charged $20 for the shipping.  If I remember correctly, they are the ones that placed the eggs in a carton, poured sawdust over them, then taped the carton shut.  I forget what was around the carton in the box.

Maybe their shipping methods have improved.

Deb

I'm guessing none of those eggs hatched :(

De-worming Methods using 1% injectable cattle ivermectin:
Birds up to 6 months old get 1/4 cc of ivermectin in the mouth. I want to be sure they get a
good dose since they are the most susceptible to parasites and internal parasite damage.
Grown birds are treated with 1cc of ivermectin per quart of water for 2 days. Mix a fresh
batch as needed each day. Birds drink what water they need according to size so I don't
worry about them over dosing. Over dosing isn't really a problem though for it takes a lot
of ivermectin to cause a problem. A friend did a test on a bantam rooster by giving the
bird 5 cc of ivermectin straight from the bottle. The bird was droopy a day or two, but
snapped right back and live another 6 or so years. If you want to find out more about
ivermectin you can find lots of information about it on the web. I have even called the
Merial and talked to a vet or two there.

Give them either the 1/4 cc by mouth or put 4tsp per gallon in water for two days. Repeat in 10 to 14 days.
This is this pour on stuff, not injectable. I am never doing injectable again unless I have to! Sorry I confused you, and ty for taking the time for me, you are a master googler

Quote: I was afraid of that. Dick Hortsman ships in a similar terrible way. His were all wrapped in Newspaper and put into egg cartons. When I asked if Urch shipped ok, I was told that on the BA thread that Urch had been shipping eggs for 30 plus year and he knew what he was doing. I am getting eggs from the guy that said that so I hope he does not ship using sawdust...

Quote: The pour on, you dab it under each wing and a couple on the vent with a cotton swab. Dosage is not that critical apparently. It is not very toxic this stuff.

I also corrected the dosage to ccs not teaspoons.

The pour on is supposed to kill mites and lice better while the injectable is supposed to kill internal parasites better.

I like what happy chooks said though, or was it Deb? Any way she said to use ivermectin first and then 10 days later use Wazine.

Back
Top Bottom